TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › Assumption School, Marshall Islands
JC - 2015-09-23

This is the worse position I have had to date. The vice principle was deceptive in the interview about the position and the accommodations. I showed up to find no hot water, leaking roof and classrooms with molding books, no resources, no syllabus and no support whatsoever. I worked in the Middle East and China in the past, so this is not my first tango. The issue here is the deception and misleading information I, as well as other new faculty, received before we got here. He is one of the most disingenuous people I have ever had to deal with. Another issue for me was telling me I was going to be working in one position and sending me a contract to that effect and after I showed up the position is not what we discussed.

He is manipulative and clever. There are only two flight per week in or out of here and the cost is extremely high. Only one airline, United flies here and from Honolulu the flight can cost almost $1,000 one way. There is no infrastructure and the lack of government and corruption are extremely severe.

I later found out that the Marshall Islands is also in debt in the same manner as Greece and cannot pay its creditors or raise capital to sustain itself. In the interview I asked about the government because I could not find much informative on the internet, but when I arrive I began reading the local newspaper only to discover that this place is a sinking ship.

DO NOT COME HERE. The atoll is dirty, the buildings are mostly dilapidated and there are numerous power interruptions for sometimes up to 8 hours. There is an area where the affluent people and politicians live however that is just a handful compared to the majority who cannot afford to buy furniture or cooking utensils in some cases. Wonderful lovely people getting a raw deal.

· Previous · Next Return to Index › Assumption School, Marshall Islands

Go to another board -