TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Peter they behaved illegally I am guessing - Teachers Discussion
Robin Day - 2006-06-20
In response to BISU - Teachers Discussion (Peter Cassidy)

Trying to police the teachers in the school housing may be ilegal. You cannot have guests in your apt. after 11 pm but everybody else in China can? Are there civil liberties about free association?

I'm an old hand with this issue. Ran into it at Honam University in South Korea. They locked the residence doors at 11 pm and opened them at 7 am and we could neither get in or out. This was sprung on us after moving in. You can imagine how the foreign staff reacted....there were the milktoast quiet complainers who winpered to each other and one guy just threw a boulder through the door. I remember having to climb out a 2nd story window in a 3 piece suit to get to a a 6am early morning class. How rediculous! The fire department was contacted and they said it was not their concern....that is so Korea, and that is why they have a lot of mass deaths due to such lack of responsibility. Mass burning in subways, mass burings in bars (staff locked the doors).

At my present Chinese college I worked out the issue before I came and there has been no problem. Your apt. is your apt. for the period of the contract but a school is private property and you may have to adhere to their rules, if informed. College and university rules cannot override the law of the land so I am guessing they are acting illegally. Personally, rules or no rules, I would not put up with it. Sheep get herded, not me.

Messages In This Thread
Beijing International Studies University - ESL discussion -- Halla Mohieddeen -- 2005-06-01
BISU - Teachers Discussion -- Peter Cassidy -- 2006-06-19
Peter they behaved illegally I am guessing - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day -- 2006-06-20
They Can Do That... - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-06-28
Too late to fight but not to inform - Teachers Discussion -- Peter Cassidy -- 2006-06-20
Thanks for the advice - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-06-19
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Peter they behaved illegally I am guessing - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -