TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Beware of King Saud University and ICEAT
Unhappy Camper - 2015-10-25

My colleagues with a CELTA certificate and a college degree say they are paid just under 13,000 SAR per month. That would be 90% of the teachers I have met at KSU. I have been told that the salaries are based on degrees and years of experience and there's no wiggle room. I am ABD and have a slightly higher salary. I was told I would get a nice signing bonus, but after almost 10 weeks, there hasn't been anything but empty promises. Most of the folks who run KSU seem very nice, and the teachers are also nice, but the attendance policies and university policies are super-strict and consistently enforced. This stuff will make you realize you are in dictatorship and that you are not in a free society. Everything in SA is tightly controlled. EVERYTHING!

I am told that other places in Saudi like Jeddah and Al Khobar are somewhat nicer places and less strict. As for Riyadh, all I can say is I'm hoping I can hang in here for the full period. No perks. No forms of entertainment. Communication, let alone relationships, with the opposite gender here are practically impossible. If you can survive on shopping and going to salons for your only means of entertainment, then you may be able to endure it. Getting money sent back home to bank accounts can be a major headache! Banks often find any and all reasons not to do transactions. They seem to make up their rules as they go. In general, Saudis are not very interested in work, or your happiness. It can be frustrating to try to get anything done.

My advice, steer clear. Anyway, IMF reports Saudi economy is heading south and education will probably be one of the first things to go. Greedy employers will take as much advantage of the situation as they can. You will likely have to beg for what's due you. This is a "HARDSHIP" assignment. Maybe you can find an easier ways to make a dollar. I hear Taiwan is good. When you weigh the salary against the quality of life, you can come out better by taking a slightly lower salary in a free society.

Messages In This Thread
Beware of King Saud University and ICEAT -- Mollyt -- 2015-04-05
Re Beware of King Saud University and ICEAT -- Annie -- 2016-05-18
Re Beware of King Saud University and ICEAT -- Tom -- 2016-06-28
Re Beware of King Saud University and ICEAT -- ScamKnight -- 2016-03-19
Re Beware of King Saud University and ICEAT -- Janet -- 2016-03-19
Re Beware of King Saud University and ICEAT -- KT -- 2015-12-04
Re Beware of King Saud University and ICEAT -- Yasin -- 2015-08-06
Re Beware of King Saud University and ICEAT -- Unhappy Camper -- 2015-10-25
Re Beware of King Saud University and ICEAT -- Mizzit -- 2015-08-06
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Beware of King Saud University and ICEAT

Go to another board -