TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re having guests in school apartments
Paul - 2015-10-25
In response to Re having guests in school apartments (David)

I came across this thread while looking for something about this topic.

I live in Luoyang, which is in the adjoining province to Shanxi. I am in a similar situation.

I have started at a new high school and last weekend brought my Chinese girlfriend who actually is at University in Zhengzhou to visit. Our apartments our within the school grounds but nowhere near the teaching buildings. The security simply waved us through but obviously had made a note of the fact I had a girl with me and at just after 10pm I had a knock at my door and it was our FAO and one of the leaders. They asked who my girlfriend was and then spoke to her saying simply that she can visit between 8am and 10pm but cannot sleep here. They offered to take her to a hotel and said if I wish to stay with her I can at the hotel but not in school.

I am 35 and felt like a naughty kid scolded by his parents. I didn't want to make too much of an issue so just went along with it. They took her to a hotel and then when she had checked in she sent me the address and I took a taxi. Of course when I got to the hotel I was immediately met with 'no foreigners allowed. we don't have a licence'. Given that it was already midnight we just said our goodbyes and would deal with it in the morning.

Subsequent conversations with our FAO revealed that my schools accommodation is only approved for foreign teachers and no guests are allowed. I also asked about renting an apartment and he said that even if I paid for it, the local police would have to approve of it for you to stay there. Just to check this theory I got my girlfriend to call a letting agency and arrange a viewing, when we arrived to view the apartment (ten minutes from my school) the agent immediately looked sheepish and my girlfriend said that they 'do no have the ability to lease to foreigners'. This may be a face thing but she said he said to her its a local police ruling and is simply too much paperwork for them.

So like David, I find myself in an almost identical situation. This is my fourth year in China and previously it has never been an issue, whether this is a new thing or is gradually being introduced it is a ballache. I was in Hebei three years and Ningbo last year. I never even thought to ask about it was not a problem previously.

Looks like I will just have to visit my girlfriend for now rather than the other way around.

Messages In This Thread
Re having guests in school apartments -- David -- 2015-10-15
Re having guests in school apartments -- Caring -- 2015-10-16
Re having guests in school apartments -- John O'Shei -- 2015-10-15
Re having guests in school apartments -- David -- 2015-10-16
Re having guests in school apartments -- Paul -- 2015-10-25
Re having guests in school apartments -- Alex -- 2015-10-28
Re having guests in school apartments -- John O'Shei -- 2015-10-28
Re having guests in school apartments -- Laughing -- 2015-10-28
Re having guests in school apartments -- martin hainan -- 2015-10-26
Re having guests in school apartments -- John O' Shei -- 2015-10-16
Re having guests in school apartments -- Paul -- 2015-10-16
Re having guests in school apartments -- John O'Shei -- 2015-10-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re having guests in school apartments

Go to another board -