TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Running... for our sanity! - Teachers Discussion
Frank - 2006-07-01
In response to To do or not to do a runner. - Teachers Discussion (bob the aging loner)

Ive been teaching English in China since 2003. I came here with university teaching experience in the U.S. While I enjoy teaching English to Chinese students (most days), Ive had numerous problems with school administrators or training school managers. I try my best these days not to sign contracts. This is only possible for me because I have taught in one city mainly, and I have a high reputation with students. I have quit a number of jobs (contract or no contract) not because of a better opportunity but due to intolerable working conditions which I have discussed ad nauseam with school leaders prior to my departure.

Last year, after a brief return to the U.S., I made the grave mistake of accepting a position in a very different area of China (for reasons Ill spare you) at a public school. I thought I had asked all the right questions (by phone from the U.S.) -- even talking at length with the foreign teacher currently working there. However, the realities of the job, the dwelling, the classes, the small city, etc. were far from what I had expected.

The man who had hired me (whom the students felt had cheated them and their parents with guarantees of future study abroad) and the foreign teacher (who had his own agenda) had both greatly misled me about the real situation. After five weeks of serious problems with the apartment, problems with previously-agreed upon reimbursements, student load, etc., I decided to get the hell outta there! I did my first (and only, to date) runner and I dont regret it for a second!

It was obvious that nothing was going to improve there, and that remaining in such a bad situation would only be a test of my endurance and tolerance for exploitation. Sometimes running is our only option for survival (on several levels). I agree with some previous posters that argue the loyalty issue is ridiculous, because the very people that demand you be loyal are the ones who would likely be the first to jump ship for something else.

In fact, I tried to meet with the true headmaster of the school to discuss the situation, but he would not meet with me. I found out later that he was taking bribes from the guy who was charging each of my students 4000RMB to be in my classes (one class had 66 students, another had 72, and another had 78!)

Also, when I have left jobs in the past, I find that my students are usually very forgiving and supportive (from email messages I have received after departure). They often understand quite well problems we are facing with unscrupulous bosses because they have been victimized by these people as well.

Messages In This Thread
Three of the big, annoying mindsets I must fight in TESOL - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-06-22
To do or not to do a runner. - Teachers Discussion -- bob the aging loner -- 2006-06-24
Running... for our sanity! - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-01
Agreed, Bob. - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-06-25
I would not hire you Rheno. - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-06-22
Would I even apply at your school, Robin Day, B.Sc.? -- Rheno747 -- 2006-06-23
I agree with Rheno's clarification - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day -- 2006-06-25
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Running... for our sanity! - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -