TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Teaching or Lecturing? - Teachers Discussion
Frank - 2006-07-03
In response to The Way It Is - Teachers Discussion (Raoul Duke)

Hello! Again, I find myself very much in agreement with Raoul Duke. The work of PETA is important in places like my home country America, but even there, the organization is considered quite radical. Most Americans are pet owners, so it is much easier for them to become highly concerned with the Ethical Treatment of Animals (although many disagree with PETAs tactics).

China is another matter entirely. First of all, like most issues, changes in Chinese peoples consciousness must come from within. I love China very much, but we foreigners cannot impose our individual or collective will upon this country and culture. What we can do, through our work as good and responsible teachers (and as representatives of our various home nations) is to present another idea about social problems. I think thats all we can do.

Many Chinese people (again, compared to most of our home countries) face harsh and unfair working conditions. Hopefully, this problem with be confronted and improved before they take on the gross mistreatment of animals.

As Raoul said, in China, animals are viewed mostly as a basic source of food and clothing. One thing I admire about Chinese people is that when they kill an animal for food, they make use of all it. Nothing is wasted. When they eat an animal, there is no doubt what they (we) are eating. You often see the head, the feet, etc. in the dish. Frankly, I find it much more honest. Americans dont like to face the fact that we kill and eat animals, so we often disguise the animal (in the form of Chicken patties, McNuggets, etc.) as a way to sustain the denial.

As with most issues, in most cultures and societies, the key to change and enlightenment comes through education and exposure to alternative ideas. The most I think I can do as a teacher is to present another way of thinking. I think it stops there. After that, it is up to my students to consider it, accept it, adopt it, or refuse it.

Messages In This Thread
Heibei province, China -- goldenvision -- 2004-06-05
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Teaching or Lecturing? - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -