TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Rose kids - Teachers Discussion
Raoul Duke D.U.I., B.L.T., L.S.D., RUN.DMC - 2006-07-06
In response to Re: Can't Cope - Teachers Discussion (Robin Day B.Sc. M.Sc. B.Ed.)

I don't agree that environmental degradation is usually the cause of the human suffering I described. I do agree that it makes the suffering much worse. I believe environment abuse and people abuse have the same ultimate root cause: human greed and stupidity, abetted by governments that are either hopelessly outgunned or just don't care.

Rose Children are the grubby little kids that attach themselves to you in the street and try to sell you a rose. They're universal in Chinese cities, especially the richer ones and the ones that attract tourists. If you look carefully, you'll always find an adult in the shadows, watching them and egging them on. Some of these kids are just young and very cute, and this is being exploited by their own families. These are the ones that lok happier, cleaner, and plumper.

Many, though, are bought or stolen from desperate impoverished parents. These are the ones that are miserable, filthy, and thin to the point of transparent. These are the ones out every day, even in the rain and cold. These are the ones who are starved and beaten if they don't sell their quota every day. These are the ones that get a small handful of food everyday, dress in filthy rags, and sleep in a pile of nasty straw at night like an animal. These are the ones who never get an education in anything except how to beg and steal. These are the ones I sometimes try to feed. I've talked to some of these kids out of earshot of their handlers; it's an experience that will break your heart.

The Chinese know what happens to these kids. They look the other way. It's not their problem.

If I could take on one cause in China, it would be this one.

Messages In This Thread
Heibei province, China -- goldenvision -- 2004-06-05
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Rose kids - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -