TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Alert: The Rotating 'New Hire' Scam (this is a bad one!)
Dr.Farewarning - 2016-01-04

I might do that. You know the worst thing with the fake 'Demo-Event-Training Day' NON-Hiring scam is that you never worked there. Arguably, they never did claim they were paying you. You weren't even on a schedule. At no point did any actual agreement happen.

Actually one of the tip-offs I had was by the 2nd added 'training/orientation day' I noticed that not only was the person who makes the contracts still missing/holidays/sick but..
..the manager was being absolutely obnoxious. for a school that was absolutely in love and full of respect it was like a 180 turnaround AND it was the worst acting I've ever seen. (pretending I'd put the entire school and children at risk for misplacing a form I should have copied and printed etc).

One of the other victims was such a trusting nice fellow and new to China so he was taken for a full 2 weeks of 'Demo Classes', meetings, doing 2 full nights of Special events AND 'training mornings' and still didn't get the hint a contract was never going to be produced until they got so nasty they accused him of 'stealing office supplies'!

Yes, they did that. really. so in the outrage he 'Quit' and it wasn't even until later he suddenly realized he never actually worked there. He wasn't on a schedule. Nobody actually said he was to be paid for the full 1 hour long demo classes he did, the 'invitation to a party for two 4 hour evenings' or that his 4 hour 'observation days' were 'work days'.

That particular school we figured out had been rotating out 'fake hires' in Demo-Special Event-Training scams at LEAST 3 foreign teachers deep which we guesstimated translated into them getting 100% free zero-payment foreign teachers from September 1st straight through to October. Keep in mind their wall and brochures feature the happy faces of all THREE of "Their Foreign Teaching Staff".

and in fact none of them were ever actually 'Staff'.

*btw: I no longer do 'Demo Classes'. At best what I will tell a potential new school is that whenever we meet the 1st time I dont mind JOINING a class as a kind of 'Guest Teacher' for 20 minutes. Max.

After that meeting I cannot return to that school for any other reason than to sign a contract and get a schedule.

But everyone else PLEASE be warned. Remember its often so casual, so 'smooth' that people fall for this without even realizing that they purposely planned to use you for 1 week and only 1 week. (or as long as you will keep volunteering 'just until the contract-schedule is made).

Oh.. i should mention something: In one school they actually DID give me a schedule towards the end but that was a 'what your schedule WILL be starting next week/month'.
So if you see what happened there - nowhere did it actually have any of the 'demo classes, meet the students, special events' that were being done on there in any time or date listings.

Surely someone else here has been taken by this - please feel free to describe it. We all need to learn from each other!

Messages In This Thread
Alert: The Rotating 'New Hire' Scam (this is a bad one!) -- Dr.Farewarning -- 2016-01-04
Re: Alert: The Rotating 'New Hire' Scam (this is a bad one!) -- Fifi -- 2016-01-04
Re: Alert: The Rotating 'New Hire' Scam (this is a bad one!) -- Dr.Farewarning -- 2016-01-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Alert: The Rotating 'New Hire' Scam (this is a bad one!)

Go to another board -