TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re the other
martin hainan - 2016-02-24

Dr., I certainly recognize and respect your balanced portrayal of China. And, like you, I have often expressed my criticism of the FT English industry in China, a concern that is specific to the foreign teachers that contribute to this forum.

My remarks are always directed to the individuals who DO NOT post on this forum, readers who are considering teaching in China. As you point out, critiques of schools that are problem employers are certainly valuable contributions to readers of this forum.

But on a daily basis this forum's contributors voice misogynist views of Chinese women, racist commentary on Chinese society and 'Orientalist' perspectives of China's economic development and government. I do support their right to express their views, however poisonous and ill-informed I may consider them to be.

But there are many foreigners in China, such as you and I, who have had rewarding experiences assisting in the learning process of Chinese students and have enjoyed our life in China, respecting its people and culture, while laboring cheerfully to navigate the society's growing pains. Not surprisingly, most teachers who are happy in China do not venture to contribute to a forum where their positive comments are subject to attack.

Readers considering teaching in China are entitled to positive and negative information. Contributors that choose to label messengers of positive information about China as 'race traitors' or 'wumaos' or various vulgar homophobic British argot for collaborator have their own psychic damage to project. Their whining is perhaps worthy of our pity, but it is of no value to prospective teachers of English in China.

Messages In This Thread
Re the other -- martin hainan -- 2016-02-24
Re the other -- BinderDundat -- 2016-02-25
Re the other -- arrrgh Alec -- 2016-02-25
Re the other -- Caring -- 2016-02-24
Re the other -- Paul Greene -- 2016-02-24
Re the other -- San Migs -- 2016-02-24
Re the other -- BinderDundat -- 2016-02-24
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re the other

Go to another board -