TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re the other
martin hainan - 2016-02-24

Never did read it. Though I briefly met him during my time at Columbia and was aware of his work. He was quite the 'it' professor. And yes, his focus was Palestine of the past two centuries, not the 'far East'. Like Chomsky, his social impact was certainly not based on of his academic focus or credentials.

I would not venture to speak for his beliefs, but I do routinely 'reflect' on his construct and contentions about how 'American' values influence my own perception of the world's divergent cultures, and most specifically in the middle East.

'Wumao' is a term much beloved of foreigners in China. It is apparently difficult for them to accept that people might actually have positive feelings about the Chinese people, culture or government and choose to express them. As a U.S. citizen, it's a given that 'paid PR' is everywhere in U.S. modern society. But this does not preclude our accepting genuine patriotic feelings.

I suspect even Chomsky would agree that there are redeeming characteristics of U.S. involvement in the world and that people need not be paid to acknowledge those positive feelings.

Messages In This Thread
Re the other -- martin hainan -- 2016-02-24
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re the other

Go to another board -