TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › More "Chinese," please... - Teachers Discussion
Frank - 2006-07-14

Rheno,

I have to be careful how I say this publically... because I run a great risk of being misunderstood (story of my life). I am different from most other FTs I encounter in that I choose to spend most of my social time with Chinese students and friends. It's through these wonderful friendships that I stand the best chance of understanding Chinese culture, history, and mentality a little more each day. In my mind, after three years here, I don't have much trouble adapting to things here socially (I've given up lots of Western culture comforts without much effort); but in doing business, I'm far less flexible; downright rigid at times.

So, when these stalemates/gridlocks/head-butts occur between me and school "managers" and "administrators," sometimes a manager, student, or friend (rarely, thank God!) makes the grave mistake of saying to me: "You're too American! You should try to be more Chinese," I go bananas!

I quickly point out to them that the very reason Chinese schools and students (I can't speak for the PRC government) want us to come is because WE ARE NOT CHINESE. If we were Chinese, no one would give us a job, and few students would care what we have to impart. It makes me crazy that they seek us out for our FOREIGN-ness, but when when things become dicey, it's out with the "Try to be more Chinese!" Ay-yah!

Rheno,

I have lots to say about your post, but in some ways I wish we could do some of it privately. Would you mind contacting me via email?

Did you catch my latest posts on the "School Reviews" page?

Messages In This Thread
Nasdaken International English - Teachers discussion -- Stacy -- 2006-04-08
Hmmmm - Teachers Discussion -- Cian -- 2006-07-11
I say "Hmmmmm..." also, but for different reasons - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-11
Sounds like I'd sign a contract today.... - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-07-13
Speaking of "runners"... and "happy" full timers - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-13
Those annoying mindsets the powers push us to adopt - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-07-14
More "Chinese," please... - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-14
Well, to be frank again, Frank - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-07-15
the chinese way - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- mj -- 2006-07-14
A long (and possibly pointless?) reply - Teachers Discussion -- Cian -- 2006-07-12
response - Teachers Discussion -- American in Nanjing -- 2006-05-08
Reply - Teachers Discussion -- Stacy -- 2006-05-12
...and another thing - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-06-04
In support of Stacy and her statements about Nasdaken - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-06-04
Subtle extensions of the truth - Teachers Discussion -- Martin -- 2006-08-02
Thanks, and best wishes to you (from my "bad mouth") - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-04
Keeping a watchful eye... - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-09
Martin? Where For Art Thou, Martin? - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-17
"Tis but thy name that is my enemy" - Teachers Discussion -- Martin -- 2006-09-06
Martin, a reply from you -- AT LONG LAST!!! - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-09-06
Nasdaken obviously DOESN'T CARE - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-24
Websites, etc. - Teachers Discussion -- Chuck -- 2006-08-24
"As the website turns..." - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-24
Have you posted this warning on Raoul's site? - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-04-09
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › More "Chinese," please... - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -