TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re What's in a sentence predicate?
martin hainan - 2016-03-02
In response to Re What's in a sentence predicate? (Paul Fox)

This poor bastard in his seven years of teaching Chinese students in Universities has encountered a few students interested in complex grammatical English language issues. Unfortunately, only a subset of this already small group is able to understand explanations of these grammar points when expressed purely in English. I have never taught advanced English majors or graduate students of English in a first level university, but I suspect that even there few students have this level of English language ability.

Imagine studying Chinese grammar in a classroom where the professor explained details of Chinese grammar exclusively in Chinese.

Chinese teachers teaching English grammar present most of the detailed rules and categories in Chinese and English, making the concepts more accessible to the students. Foreign Teachers would be well served in learning how to identify parts of speech and verb tenses in spoken Chinese, but I suspect few make that effort. FTs in China are generally relegated to teaching oral English precisely because they are unable to assist Chinese students in their understanding of grammar in the student's native language. As I have written before, there is no 'immersion' teaching of English in EFL. It is the FT that is immersed.

I'm sure the Dr.'s posting was directed to readers of this forum, not as a lesson plan.

For FTs that truly are interested in modern grammar, Pinker's recent book "The Sense of Style" is accessible and entertaining.

Messages In This Thread
Re What's in a sentence predicate? -- Paul Fox -- 2016-03-02
Re What's in a sentence predicate? -- martin hainan -- 2016-03-02
Re What's in a sentence predicate? -- paul fox -- 2016-03-03
Re What's in a sentence predicate? -- martin hainan -- 2016-03-03
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re What's in a sentence predicate?

Go to another board -