TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › In complete agreement witth you - Teachers Discussion
Frank - 2006-07-15

Yes, joyayi!

It is a very unfortunate and infuriating situation for many very qualified and passionate teachers. There's far too much concern about someone's appearance here, as a barometer for their effectiveness and value and "marketability" (for the school). I am lucky to have a typical (certainly not handsome) Western face. But I have been railing against this mentality that you speak of with school managers and students ever since I came here. The best education comes from diversity -- diversity of opinions, cultural background, experience, and appearance!

Yes, in America we value the strengths and perspectives of good Filipino teachers.

Recently, I refused to teach a new class of students for numerous reasons which I will not detail here (sorry!). I had a long talk with the education manager explaining to her that my services were not necessary at this point in the students' English-speaking development, and that they would be better served by a Chinese teacher at this point.

Her reply was that although the students couldn't speak at all and basically couldn't understand anything I said (despite how simple and slow I spoke) they were demanding a foreign face! I found this response rather offensive as I take pride in my work and strengths as a teacher. I suggested to her that if this was their only desire, then perhaps she should just hang a photo of me in the classroom. Mission accomplished!

Messages In This Thread
esl teachers (qualifications) - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- joyayi -- 2006-07-14
Sad but true - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-15
on sad but true! - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- mj -- 2006-07-16
Asian faces and "foreign faces" - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-15
On asian faces and foreign faces - Teachers Discussion -- rainmyne -- 2006-07-17
RAINMYNE - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-18
BeatsPerMinute - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-18
beatbox - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-18
RAINMYNE - Teachers Discussion -- rainmyne -- 2006-07-19
on asian faces and foreign faces - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- mj -- 2006-07-16
In complete agreement witth you - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-15
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › In complete agreement witth you - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -