TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re TESOL help!!
DrofTCM - 2016-03-06
In response to TESOL help!! (Rick)

It's a shocking story because as a strict rule they'd have a picture of her long before she arrived in China and before they even started invitations. They'd also ask her age almost immediately and then again have some resume/cv, documents clearly showing her age somewhere if not many places on many documents.

But as you describe it was an agency so they might have assigned her to that school without that school knowing one way or the other. Agency just wants to get paid so they hide whatever they need to hide.

but anyways, I haven't seen problems with overweight foreign teachers and if a teacher is black then dreadlocks are a kind of 'bonus' that for some reason they seem to think its appropriate and interesting about black people.

Generally speaking they want the tallest 'whitest' youngest.. hmmm... actually not so much young but actually good looking. (some older teachers actually do get a special kind of respect/value but again should look good, scholarly, professorial sorta appearances).

and having said that, I've seen a crunchy looking older guy (far from handsome) who's actually quite beloved by high school kids somehow and at a top school for years. I've seen a number of fat black ladies (and not young either) and actually 'tall younger black man' (in other words looks like NBA player) has a pretty good popularity in 2016. Look 'hip' and wear NBA gear and actually you can do quite well!

I do believe she will be placed soon and it will still be a problem just because of the general disrespect and living conditions (same for all people) however don't forget she has no need for that agency and can simply start contacting schools on her own and get hired directly. If she visits 10 schools (literally she can just 'walk-in' any time) I predict 3 will try and hire her and for a reasonably decent deal.

They need her more than she needs them. remind her of that.

Messages In This Thread
TESOL help!! -- Rick -- 2016-03-03
Re TESOL help!! -- DrofTCM -- 2016-03-06
Re TESOL help!! -- Rick -- 2016-03-07
Re TESOL help!! -- DrofTCM -- 2016-03-07
Re TESOL help!! -- DrofTCM -- 2016-03-07
Re TESOL help!! -- Rick -- 2016-03-08
Re TESOL help!! -- Rick -- 2016-03-07
Re TESOL help!! -- drrjon -- 2016-03-07
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re TESOL help!!

Go to another board -