TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Training Centres
paul fox - 2016-03-08

Haha - since when did the word 'education' have a plural (lol)

Doc, I have to disagree with you (slightly) regarding your opinion on part-time teaching in training centres.

In the main, what has been said here is true, they are the 'lowest-of-the-low' in many cases, but it's really a case of the majority of 'bad ones' dragging down the better ones. (IMHO)

I teach in a public middle/high school and have also worked part-time in a rather well-organised training centre. All the FT's had degrees in something-or-other and all had TESOL (diploma-level).

OK, so the extra money came in handy but that was not the reason I took the gig in the first place. I took the job for 2 main reasons:-

1) I wanted to acquire experience teaching in a different environment where students (arguably) WANT to learn, as opposed to teaching 16-year-old 'dick-heads' who only want to play on their phone or sleep during class, and say 'ting bu dong' every time you speak to them.

2) Boredom.......! A couple of hours a night, 3 or 4 times a week suited me at the time. We all have our own reasons for working in this thankless industry, and at that time it was better for me to get out and work rather than look at the bottom of an empty whiskey bottle every night.

I guess I was 'lucky' though. The TC I worked in was well-managed, well-run, had decent teachers, a great atmosphere and I got on really well with the students. That said, I want to EMPHASISE that I only worked there a few hours each week. Could I work there full-time? I really don't think so.

The reason I say that, is because even though I considered it to be a 'good' training centre, (as opposed to others I have occasionally been to/worked in) the fact remains that it's still a 'money-first' attitude - but there again, so was the last private middle school I worked at. This IS China !!!!

Messages In This Thread
Re Training Centres -- paul fox -- 2016-03-08
Re Training Centres -- Jack The Ripper -- 2016-03-09
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Training Centres

Go to another board -