TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Asian faces and "foreign faces" - Teachers Discussion
Frank - 2006-07-15

Yes, Joyayi,

This is a terrible problem in China.

I am lucky that I have a western face (far from handsome), so schools will offer a job to me much faster than probably to you.

I have fought (as diplomatically as possible) against this mentality on the part of school managers and students ever since I came to China three years ago. School leaders here believe that people with Asian faces are not as marketable when selling classes to the students. I think this is utter nonsense, and a great loss for the students and for qualified and dedicated teachers who happen not to have a Anglo or European-type face.

Yes, in America we value Filipino teachers for their knowledge, ability, and dedication.

Two weeks ago, I refused to teach a new class of students (for numerous reasons most of which I will not detail here). When I had a meeting with the education manager to discuss the situation, I explained that the students did not need a foreign teacher at this stage of their English development, and that they would be much better served by a Chinese teacher at this point.

She tried to explain to me that although the students could not speak or understand anything I said to them -- no matter how simply or how slowly I spoke -- they were demanding a foreign face in the class. This was a rather offensive statement to me as I take care and pride in my teaching. I told her that if that was indeed all the students required then she could simply hang a photo of me in the classroom. Mission accomplished.

Messages In This Thread
esl teachers (qualifications) - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- joyayi -- 2006-07-14
Sad but true - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-15
on sad but true! - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- mj -- 2006-07-16
Asian faces and "foreign faces" - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-15
On asian faces and foreign faces - Teachers Discussion -- rainmyne -- 2006-07-17
RAINMYNE - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-18
BeatsPerMinute - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-18
beatbox - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-18
RAINMYNE - Teachers Discussion -- rainmyne -- 2006-07-19
on asian faces and foreign faces - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- mj -- 2006-07-16
In complete agreement witth you - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-15
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Asian faces and "foreign faces" - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -