TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Give me Experience! - Teachers Discussion
Yingwen Laoshi - 2006-07-15

I agree that four years in a university can make you a better educator. If I ever had a child I would encourage them to get a university education, but for a real purpose. I would encourage them to choose a major that they intend to USE when they leave school and to endeavour to obtain as much skill, ability, and practical knowledge that they can possibly acquire. What would help is if they were able to obtain some part-time work experience, in the field that they are studying, during the summer holidays. Then their degree would be more than just a peice of paper. It would represent a person with a good chance of actually fulfilling the responsibilities of the job applied for.

The above is what I encourage my college English majors to do, so that after their graduation they can grab the offered opportunity with both hands and say " I am ready. I can DO this! I've really studied my major, and I've also obtained experience in my field. Let's go!"

If I was choosing candidates for an ESL job, though, and out of two, one had a degree in an unrelated field, with no experience whatsoever, while the second one had no university degree, but had two years recent experience in ESL, I would go for the latter. The first guy has no practical experience in a work environment and for all I know could have slept in his dormitory for most of his college life. Also, he hasn't studied anything in the field he's applying for.

Even if the latter had spent two years at the front of his classroom, clueless, scratching his head, at least he's spent time in front of ESL students, and has the potential to use what he's seen to improve. I would of course check references.

A university degree is most relevant when you're pursuing the field you've majored in, you've gained some practical experience in that field during your college years, and you've REALLY applied yourself to your major during those years in university.

Messages In This Thread
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Give me Experience! - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -