TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › They walk amongst us........
paul fox - 2016-03-13

Chinese kids learning English have the right to expect their English text books and their teachers to be RIGHT (as in CORRECT) - but what happens when they are essentially wrong and the student gets the blame for being ‘wrong’?

Case in point......Insert the missing word into the following sentence......(Grade 7 by the way)

‘My boss said that he.............like my work’ (and the answer has to be in the negative)

No other information is given (ie,time-frame) - simply choose a negative form of the verb to 'do' and write it in the blank space

The ‘answer’ is the word ‘didn’t’ and woe betide any student who wrote the word ‘doesn’t’

A Chinese-English teacher argued with me that ‘black was white’ and that the answer was quite obviously ‘didn’t’ (due to the past-tense offering of 'said') and that the word ‘doesn’t’ was not an option. A big red X would appear against any answer of ‘doesn’t’ - and that big red X could mean the difference between a student passing or failing an exam.

Enter the correct form of the verb to ‘leave’ in the following sentence.....
‘Why you................?’

Go on, try it!.............you can’t, can you? (because the word ‘are’ is missing)

Answer YES or NO to the following question.....

‘You don’t often disagree with your brother, do you?’

Why are you asking me to agree or disagree (with a simple YES or NO answer) to a (statement/tag) question that contains the word ‘disagree’?...................AND in a sentence that contains a double negative (as in don’t and disagree)????

Can’t the idiots who write these text books offer better questions that don’t involve ambiguity? (It can't be difficult)

When I joined this ‘profession’ I was told (by a laowai) that the Chinese-English teachers ‘teach’ the kids English and then we come along to fix all the mistakes - ain’t THAT the truth?

Well done, New Concept English - you should be hung, drawn and quartered ! (after being flayed)

Messages In This Thread
They walk amongst us........ -- paul fox -- 2016-03-13
Re They walk amongst us........ -- Caring -- 2016-03-14
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › They walk amongst us........

Go to another board -