TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Thanks for the clarification - Teachers Discussion
Frank - 2006-07-17

Wow, KJ! I think you had many of us concerned about your recent vitriol!
Thanks for taking the time to turn down the heat and explain yourself a little more.

This latest posting of yours gives me a rather different impression of you, and for a moment, I thought I was seeing my doppelganger when you stated: "I left a 40,000 dollar a year job in America because I felt I could help young people in China who are genuinely interested in improving their lot in life and the standing of their country in the world community. But I've been in China for three years now..." That is the same case with me ($40K back in the USA, three insane years in China).

I imagine you and I share dozens of the same frustrations here. I continue to perhaps foolishly believe that if I can push through some of the unprofessional and unethical conditions here (among other things) I might truly find a work situation for the long haul.

Perhaps my crazy quest comes from the fact that although China presents a host of troublesome bumps along the way, the one thing that has been consistent for me is the "happy marriage" I share with my students -- one far richer than I could have imagined. No matter where I've taught here (and this dog has peed on lots of hydrants) the students and I embrace and learn from each other well.

I've had numerous "careers" in my life, but for me this one is the best "fit." Despite so many days where I fight the urge to scream (and sometimes I lose that fight), I feel genuinely useful here and recieve so much personal reward from my students. In this way, I feel quite lucky here.

Good luck to you, and thanks again for the clarification of your feelings and experience.

Messages In This Thread
Certs or not - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-16
Pulling the Wool - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-17
Oops - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-17
raoul,frank - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-18
mj, xiexie! - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-18
u're most welcome frank! - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-18
Oops - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-17
Pointing the Finger Where It Belongs - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-20
on certs or not... - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-17
certs or not - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-17
KJ - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-18
mj and your blog - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-18
a complment or insult? - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-18
relax mj - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-19
Thanks for the clarification - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-17
To Frank with kind regards - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-18
...and to you, too! - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Thanks for the clarification - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -