TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Oops - Teachers Discussion
KJ - 2006-07-17
In response to Oops - Teachers Discussion (Raoul Duke)

Nope not Chinese; albeit, I'd just as soon be Chinese as not. Truth be known, I'd rather just be considered an Earthling. Extraordinary national pride leads to Nationalism. Nationalism creates enmity between nations. "Pride cometh before the fall."

Please point out to me where I have castigated anyone for their nationality. If you can do so, I will happily post a retraction. The truth is that I believe there is more that unites us than there is that which separates us.

My contention is rather simple actually. The quality of English education in China is deplorable, and the reasons for that do nor rest solely on the shoulders of the administrators of English programs. Nor should the scam artist recruiters and illegal schools be singled out, even though their actions are despicable. No, we the teachers, must take a long hard look at ourselves and our fellow teachers and must ask some meaningful and probing questions regarding, not only our skills as teachers, but also our apathetic acceptance of the status quo.

Well then, I'm glad to know I got the ball rolling and I'm not even surprised that my rambling observations have been slightly misunderstood. It's also interesting to note that past postings I've submitted under a different nom de plume that have taken a more positive slant about life and EFL have gone largely unnoticed. It has been said that in terms of communication in our species we tend to gravitate toward the negative, and that while doing so we love pulling others down with us. Hmmm........I'm still meditating on that one and fervently wish it were not so. Either way, if I have been guilty of obscuring the light, my heartful apologies are hereby offered.

And no Raoul, I have no interest in editing your writings. But I do still find it rather interesting that would be teachers haven't taken the time to refine their skills as writers or communicators. Even messages posted here in this forum by experienced teachers are often rife with mistakes - grammatical and otherwise. And in that context I feel that it is never too late for self improvement. And oh yeah, that applies to me as well - still trying to "remove the mote from my own eye."

Messages In This Thread
Certs or not - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-16
Pulling the Wool - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-17
Oops - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-17
raoul,frank - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-18
mj, xiexie! - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-18
u're most welcome frank! - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-18
Oops - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-17
Pointing the Finger Where It Belongs - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-20
on certs or not... - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-17
certs or not - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-17
KJ - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-18
mj and your blog - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-18
a complment or insult? - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-18
relax mj - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-19
Thanks for the clarification - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-17
To Frank with kind regards - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-18
...and to you, too! - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Oops - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -