TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › To Frank with kind regards - Teachers Discussion
KJ - 2006-07-18

Yes indeed Frank we do seem to be walking similar paths. And I too have waltzed through many careers in my life - or is that stumbled? I've also been to more than a few cities in China and have, like you, made my sometimes unhappy way through the maze that is the EFL game here. Yep, I've gathered from past postings of yours that we are similarly disposed to say the hell with any school or situation that doesn't live up to their promises. Gone in 60 seconds, as it were. In fact, my well bred patience quickly took a back seat when it came to dealing with any degree of dishonesty from employers or recruiters and I now happily thumb my nose at them, literally and figuratively, whenever they display even a minor amount of dishonorable behavior. You know the old saying, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

However, I am still keenly interested in seeing this through to the end or through to a level of excellence as it were, and I think you are too. I could be here forever. On the other hand I could leave tomorrow. Don't really know for sure. I seem to be like "the dust in the wind" these days; albeit, while I am here I won't back down from my commitment to the students of this country who, as I've said before, have a genuine interest in making their lives better and/or improving the situation of their country. Nor will I back off from my belief that those students deserve the best possible English training we can provide them.

In a way I guess I am a little harsh when it comes to my "attacks" on unqualified teachers, but really I am not only espousing my own beliefs but also echoing the sentiments of many, many students. Also, I've been here long enough now to see how the backback EFL teachers approach the job, and I just can't help being displeased. I honestly believe Frank that there are many people in China that doubt our commitment to provide quality education merely because they have witnessed so many glaring examples of just the opposite.

So again I say that though our displeasure for the unscrupulous recruiters and employers is well placed, we need also to take a long hard look at ourselves as educators, and we need to ask ourselves some serious and probing questions about our motivations, our commitment and even our abilities.

------And for those of you out there who think that even marginally qualified teachers shouldn't be dissuaded from teaching in China, consider this - because many of you have learned money as L1: As long as China continues to employ such teachers - those with or without certs who can't demonstrate any real classroom ability or desire to improve their teaching skills, those of you who have worked hard and studied hard will not be adequately compensated.--------

Well anyway Frank, please never believe that I would deliberately attack anyone. Yeah, sometimes I get to rambling on and it can probably seem to be a little scathing. But generally, that is not my intention. I just like to kindle thought and kick back and see what happens. Right now I'm waiting for someone to point out to me that I spelled emnity wrong in my last posting...........you see, I too must work on my writing skills..........lol. And beyond that, well, sometimes I have a hard time getting my toungue out of my cheek. Or is that my head out of somewhere else?
Keep the peace Frank,
KJ ( aka DB)

Messages In This Thread
Certs or not - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-16
Pulling the Wool - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-17
Oops - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-17
raoul,frank - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-18
mj, xiexie! - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-18
u're most welcome frank! - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-18
Oops - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-17
Pointing the Finger Where It Belongs - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-20
on certs or not... - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-17
certs or not - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-17
KJ - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-18
mj and your blog - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-18
a complment or insult? - Teachers Discussion -- mj -- 2006-07-18
relax mj - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-19
Thanks for the clarification - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-17
To Frank with kind regards - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-18
...and to you, too! - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › To Frank with kind regards - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -