TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Education in the UK
paul fox - 2016-04-13

I'm too old to remember the questions, but I do remember the 11+

It was a compulsory exam and whether you passed or failed determined the school that you went on to as your 'secondary' school.

I grew up in Coventry and there were a few different types of schools, including 2 x 'Grammar Schools'

The grammar schools had an 'entrance exam' and if a student passed the 11+ as well as the entrance exam, they got a scholarship (or 'free place') at the school.

If they failed the 11+ but passed the entrance exam, they could still attend that school, but daddy had to pay!

Failing the entrance exam meant you could not attend. I was fortunate enough to pass both, so I went there as a 'free' student.

That was a loooooooong time ago, but I can still remember similarities between my class and the ones I now teach in China.

By that, I mean what us 'teechers' call 'good students' and 'bad students' - or more to the point, 'lazy, good-for-nothing layabouts who don't want to learn anything because they would rather play computer games or fiddle with their mobile phone, squandering daddy's money just so they can go to Canada or America for a year or two, fail miserably only to come back to China and work in daddy's company'

But that's OK because daddy can tell all his friends how rich he is by sending his kid halfway round the world to study in a language that he cannot understand a word of.................but....T.I.C I guess (for those that don't know, it's an acronym for This Is China)

One of my old classmates went on to be an international pilot for British Airways, another went on to be a bus driver.

Some things never change, lol

Messages In This Thread
Re Education in the UK -- paul fox -- 2016-04-13
Re Education in the UK -- amused -- 2016-04-14
Re Education in the UK -- Paul Greene -- 2016-04-14
Re Education in the UK -- amused -- 2016-04-14
Re Education in the UK -- Paul Greene -- 2016-04-14
Re Education in the UK -- Former FT in the PRC -- 2016-04-14
Re Education in the UK -- San Migs -- 2016-04-14
Re Education in the UK -- Former FT in the PRC -- 2016-04-15
Re Education in the UK -- paul fox -- 2016-04-15
Re Education in the UK -- paul fox -- 2016-04-14