TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › way to go Frank - Teachers Discussion
KJ - 2006-07-19

I'm glad you're still cautioning others to view some of these positions with the skepticism they deserve. The job in Panzhihua is a good example of one to definitely avoid. New teachers should be aware, as I've stated before, that when an employer goes all out to paint a glowing picture of the school and/or its surroundings, the red flags should go up. Further, one should think about the advice they should have received in the past about their own CV's or resumes - avoid being too verbose because an employer is apt to think that you lack the confidence to state the facts simply without being overly grandiose about your qualifications. Conversely, the chances are that an employer who babbles on and on about their school must lack the confidence to simply state the facts.
Another thing to watch for is when they stretch the truth - even just a little bit. This job posting states that Panzhihua is close to Kunming. Obviously they're trying to coerce us with the fact that Kunming is a well known tourist destination in China and that Yunnan itself is rapidly becoming a popular stomping ground for foreigners. I'm not sure how long it takes to get from Panzhihua to Kunming, but calling it "close" is bit of a stretch of the imagination.
In my opinion, the ideal job posting is clear, concise and brief. Are you would be employers paying attention? Just "give us the facts Jack." And if you really want to attract applicants, offer a decent salary. 4000RMB? Pshaw! Furthermore, offer to send some pictures of the school, the city, and the apartment. And if possible, the email addresses of prior employees who are willing to provide testimonials.
But ultimately the responsibility lies on the shoulders of you new teachers or you teachers who haven't taught in China before. The sad fact is that what you see is rarely what you get. I'd recommend more than a few days of research. Take weeks or months if necessary to find the right position. Find out as much as possible about the city, not just the teaching position. Yeah, maybe the job is ok, but the city itself could be the most god awful place you've ever imagined.
So, do your research and good luck!

Messages In This Thread
This week's "'Red Flag' Specials" from ESL Jobs in China - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-19
Filipino not Phillipino/Phillipiono - Teachers Discussion -- rainmyne -- 2006-07-20
boredom is a terrible thing - Teachers Discussion -- bubawoo -- 2006-07-26
way to go Frank - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-07-19
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › way to go Frank - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -