TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Response to Mr Duke - Teachers Discussion
John - 2006-07-31
In response to On Thin Ice! - Teachers Discussion (Raoul Duke)

There are thousands of educational establishments of all kinds operating in China. Mr Duke tries to paint a picture wherein he would have us believe the vast majority of these are crooks and liars. Now he expects us to believe that many of them hold their teachers in some form of servitude because they have other responsibilities (haven't we all?) or simply cannot find other jobs or are intimidated by a philosophy that they can like it or lump it or move over to let someone else have a turn.

I don't doubt that there are schools who act in this manner and that there are teachers soft enough to put up with it. However, I do not believe the numbers of such places is as predominant as he evidently believes. It is easy for foreigners to get teaching work in China, so apart from the legal requirements one has to go through to get a new visa - there is no bar to teachers seeking alternative employment. I AM also aware that there are scurrilous schools lying in wait, so great care is needed in choosing who to work for and who to avoid so as to reduce the risk of jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Conversely, nobody should think he is guaranteed a "good" job in China as if by God. If you work in China there is a certain degree of risk even for those of us who are experienced. We all need to do research before we jump. Those who do not do such research well enough, (or at all), often end up as casualties. I have worked full time for three schools in China and in my spare time for a few others.

The first job, I took for the summer on the understanding that I would be retained thereafter depending on the available workload. I did a lot of research beforehand so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect - though I did also have a few surprises though these were of no significant consequence. In the event, there was not enough work to justify retaining my services so the job came to an end. I was treated well in the few months I worked there. I was paid in full and on time. The other staff, both Chinese and foreign alike were all happy with their lot. The owner was a nice guy and his wife fussed over me like I was her own son. When my crunch finally came, the Owner gave me proper notice and found me another job at a higher rate of pay with a government senior middle school.

This new school also treated me very well. Nice apartment, no restrictions, regular pay etc. It was a well-run place and I got along well with everyone. The only reason I left was because I didn't like working with classes of nearly a hundred students.

At my present school I am paid even more and treated even better. I also work with smaller classes. I have no intention of leaving here in the foreseeable future.

I also help out with two private primary schools and these too are well managed and the staff are all happy. I am paid in full and on the dot.

I also move among other foreign teachers working for schools in my general vicinity. Whilst some of these talk about other people's past horror stories none of them appear to have such stories of their own. I think my situation is fairly typical. Mr Duke, however, may not agree with this, for he is one who can only see schools in a negative light.

In conclusion however, I think Mr Duke has made a very significant and true statement. He says: "The number of foreigners coming here has exploded in recent years and we are not the pampered, coveted rarity we once were. There are now so many foreigners here that schools don't have to be careful to keep one" I think he is quite correct in saying that.

I also think that his problem - for it is clear he has one by the way he criticises Chinese schools with a passion - is that the days have gone where foreign teachers in China were 'stars' who could perhaps throw their weight around and get their own way fairly easily. I think, maybe Mr Duke mourns the passing of his once elite status and is left feeling rather bitter at having to accept that he is now just another one of the boys.

Please accept, Mr Duke, that what I have just written is in no way meant to be a dig at you. Times always change, though and if you think nearly all Chinese schools are crooks and swindlers, or if you miss the days when you were a big-shot, then you have the right to leave if you wish, for those times are not going to return. However, if you choose to stay, then accept the overall, prevailing conditions in China today.

John

Messages In This Thread
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Response to Mr Duke - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -