TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Who is a Deecher?
PhD teacher - 2016-06-05
In response to Re Who is a Deecher? (amused)

FTs in China do not teach integrated English. Their students already have Chinese teachers that teach English reading, writing, listening, integrated English and grammar.

Teaching Oral English in that context is a uniquely flawed process, one devised by the Chinese educational system.

Who decides what qualifies a FT to teach this 'component' oral English? China.

Having said that, I do have an undergraduate degree in English and TESOL certification from Columbia. I do not consider myself a genuine English teacher because I lack the requisite credits in Education and a teaching license.

I do write well. One semester I had an opportunity to teach writing in a first level university. Chinese English students are taught a variety of writing techniques by Chinese teachers to do well on standardized exams. As a result they are 'conjunction addicted', 'preposition perplexed' and 'article blind'. Their Chinese English teachers share these writing maladies.

Although, I believe that I am qualified to teach an integrated English program (including grammar) to 'Students of Other Languages', in China I am not hired to do so. Employment in that field is restricted to Chinese citizens, although many top universities in China act to hire 'Foreign Experts' with full teaching credentials to perform as fully functioning instructors.

I was playing devil's advocate more than anything. And in doing so I find that along with myself and all the other posters, using Turnoi's exacting standards of the minimum qualifications an FT should have, you do indeed fit quite snugly into his category of 'Deecher' with a capital D. I am quite happy for an FT with a degree in botany to teach Oral English to the Chinese; however such a loser in Turnoi's eyes would be a 'deecher' personified. Although I can see where Turnoi is coming from; he is indeed unusually learned in language skills himself ,so sets extremely high standards.

Warning to all, look after your belongings at Chinese airports. This money belt was cut with a knife or scissors while I was wearing it.

Messages In This Thread
Re Who is a Deecher? -- PhD teacher -- 2016-06-05
Re Who is a Deecher? -- amused -- 2016-06-05
Re Who is a Deecher? -- PhD teacher -- 2016-06-05
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Who is a Deecher?

Go to another board -