TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re "only Oral teaching"
paul fox - 2016-06-06
In response to Re "only Oral teaching" (PhD teacher)

There are exceptions to every rule and since I don't know what Turnoi's native tongue is, I would have to guess that Turnoi would speak a second language with some kind of accent that reflects his first language - in much the same way as a Chinese English-speaker would speak English with a Chinese accent.

When I fist came to China back in 2008, I met a Chinese man who spoke perfect English, but with an American accent. When I asked him how long he had lived in America, he told me he had never even been there. He had two American English teachers who had spent heaps of time helping his pronunciation, thus the accent.

Pronunciation is NOT everything. It is extremely important, but then again so are the other 3 facets of language learning.

Your comment -

A grease-monkey mechanic with good
pronunciation would be worth ten degree teachers with bad pronunciation.
does hold water, but unless that grease-monkey knows his way around English grammar................?

Turnoi is a 'one-off'. I think most of us agree that his standards are exceptionally high and he deserves respect for what he has achieved. But sadly for Turnoi, many of us do not share his love of linguistics and therefore occasionally have to tolerate his public outbursts.

Messages In This Thread
"only Oral teaching" -- Silver Star -- 2016-06-05
Re "only Oral teaching" -- amused -- 2016-06-06
Re "only Oral teaching" -- Silver Star -- 2016-06-06
Re "only Oral teaching" -- PhD teacher -- 2016-06-06
Re "only Oral teaching" -- Silver Star -- 2016-06-06
Re "only Oral teaching" -- PhD teacher -- 2016-06-08
Re "only Oral teaching" -- paul fox -- 2016-06-07
Re "only oral teaching" -- Silver Star -- 2016-06-08