TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re What should be the minimum standards in ESL teacher training?
paul fox - 2016-06-06

I always use 'wise of you' and would advise my students of MY reason for that choice.

Chinese students seek rules and the comfort of 'correct' answers, but Life, and grammar, do
not always comply.

I would also choose 'wise of you' for similar reasons. However, I probably should have mentioned that the question was raised because the classroom textbook cited 'wise for you', and the Chinese English teacher wanted clarification.

The best explanation I could think of on-the-spot, as it were, was this -

'It looks like rain. It would be wise of you to take an umbrella.' = Leaning more towards - If you take an umbrella, you are clever!

'It looks like rain. It would be wise for you to take an umbrella.' = Leaning more towards making a suggestion / giving advice.

'Wise of you' would always be my preferred choice of usage, but 'wise for you' is not necessarily wrong!

As you correctly point out, what is spoken in English often differs greatly from what is written.

Messages In This Thread
Re What should be the minimum standards in ESL teacher training? -- paul fox -- 2016-06-06
Re What should be the minimum standards in ESL teacher training? -- amused -- 2016-06-06
Re What should be the minimum standards in ESL teacher training? -- paul fox -- 2016-06-06
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re What should be the minimum standards in ESL teacher training?

Go to another board -