TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › RE: Shifting Gears - Teachers Discussion
Teacher A. - 2006-08-06

KJ: You seem to have a considerable amount of anger and resentment that has nothing to do with my post. I've lived in China 5 years continuously and 10 years cumulatively. During that time, I've traveled extensively in China and have lived in ordinary Chinese neigborhoods with ordinary Chinese people, including my Chinese partner.

Perhaps it was too broad a generalization to characterize all Chinese villages as filthy. Although I have seen many filthy, smelly, and disgusting villages here, I haven't seen them all. Apparently the beautiful ones have escaped me. The village in question, however, is fairly described. Upon making a left turn out the main gate of the college, the village presents itself immediately with a rotten-smelling open sewer. There are no sewer pipes under the streets; the raw sewage flows along the sidewalks underneath cement stepping stones. Garbage is piled up in almost every empty space. I have seen dead rats in the street and those streets look as though they have never been cleaned. Cleaning them would be futile anyway, as most of them are made of dirt and become mud pits upon the slightest rain.

I am far from a bigot, but you seem to need to find fault in me as a person when it would have been sufficient for you to write somethine like: "I disagree with Teacher A. that all Chinese villages are awful. In fact, I have been to X, Y, and Z villages in XYZ Province and they were clean and pleasant."

Messages In This Thread
shifting gears - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-08-02
RE: Shifting Gears - Teachers Discussion -- Teacher A. -- 2006-08-06
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › RE: Shifting Gears - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -