TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › What did you do after leaving China?
Travelguy - 2016-06-24

This is a question for those who have left China. What did you do after leaving the country?

I went to China shortly after finishing UNI because I was not ready to jump into the working world in the USA yet and it seemed like an interesting gap year experience. Plus my gf at the time, who was from France, supported the idea. I was 23 when I went to China and I worked at a small UNI outside of Beijing. After my first year ended, I decided to stay at the University I was working at for another year before I became too homesick and went home at the end of the second year instead of staying for a third year. I spent nearly 24 months of my life living in China but it seems like a blur now.

After China
When I got back to the states, I lived with my mother and little sister for 9 months in a small New England town close to where I had grown up. I did not work and just helped around the house and helped my mom with her business. But by month nine, I wanted to actually do something so I moved to Maryland and got a job as a "before and after school tutor" at a public school. I lived in a small room that was in a much larger house and this was just outside of Washington DC, on the redline. The school was only about four metro stops away from where I lived so it was very easy to get to work. This lasted for about 6 months before I moved out of the house. After that job, I moved into Washington DC and got a new job. I had this job for just over 2 years, as a Pre-K teacher. They paid quite well so I was happy about that and I learned a lot. I said goodbye to them at the end of my second year and took a plane to Colombia. The first month was tough but I landed a very good (but very stressful) job at one of the top schools in the city (and some might say, the country). Right now, I am ending my second year at this IB school and I have had enough of the stress here. It is known as being a stressful place to work, even if the salary is good. I have sensed that the school is likely not going to extend my contract for a third year so I was proactive and found a new job outside of the city a few months ago. I will never know if they were actually going to hire me for a third year or not, but being proactive beats the uncertainty. Plus I took control of my fate, since they have a habit of telling teachers at the very last minute if they will be coming back for the next year.

So that is my post-China life. I really do not have interest in going back to China anytime soon. In fact, my gf and I would like to try to go to (Eastern) Europe in the near future, perhaps in one year.

What about you, if you left China, what did you do afterwards?

· Previous · Next Return to Index › What did you do after leaving China?

Go to another board -