TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Be Careful Where You Choose! - Teachers Discussion
John - 2006-08-08

Mr Raoul Duke is right in what he says. I would add to his advice my own, which is to do LOADS of research before you decide where to go and who to work for. Don't be in any hurry - take your time over this, as it may well mean the difference between the realisation of a dream or being trapped in a nightmare.

Check for yourself - with the appropriate embassies or consulates - on the entry requirements of those countries that strike you as being favourable. At the same time, check also on what you need to meet their employment requirements. Check so far as you can on the credentials and legality of the school(s) who you make contact with. Some of them may not have authority to employ foreigners at all! Beware of recruiting agencies - in fact avoid them like the plague - and make sure you deal directly with schools.

Check to see whether schools who offer you jobs have been the subject of complaints from other teachers in the past. You can do this here by reference to the "School and Recruiter Review" section.

I cannot stress enough how vital it is that you do your homework down to the very smallest detail. Prepare a list of questions to ask prospective employers. Do not worry about the length of that list. Where possible compose your questions so as to elicit a "yes/no" answer. If you put your questions to a good, legitimate school, they will generally answer you quickly and deal with each and every point you have raised. If however you have any argument from them or any evasive answers, or promises that everything will be sorted out following your arrival - then turn your back on them straight away.

As far as advice as to which countries you might concentrate on, that has to be for you to decide. There's plenty of information on the web to help you do that. I repeat, however, that once you have decided on which to investigate in detail - make that detail exhaustive.

Best of luck

John

Messages In This Thread
Need some advice-please help - Teachers Discussion -- Erin -- 2006-08-08
Be Careful Where You Choose! - Teachers Discussion -- John -- 2006-08-08
Taking Teaching Abroad... - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-08-08
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Be Careful Where You Choose! - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -