TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Bought a few things
Former FT in China - 2016-07-15
In response to Re Bought a few things (PhD teacher)

Looks like you are cooking fried bacon! Much healthier grilling it, but in China there aren't many grill ovens.

Back in Blighty, I used to work for a brewery. Employees were offered cheap hols at 'selected' brewery hotels. They were small hotels short of overnight patrons. One such hotel cooked bacon, eggs and sausage each morning for my 'British' wife, at that time, and me. Food and accomo were 1/2 price, but not alc. beverages. However, every morning after breakfast, I was uncomfortable with heartburn. That was before I came to China, between '87 and '91'. I checked out what was happening in the kitchen - the cook was frying up in a frying pan.

Also had a bad experience following a visit to the company canteen. One morning, bacon and eggs there, north of Hadrian's Wall. Then by car to 'Toon'. Briefed warehousemen how to control GKN pallets. Drank a few pints of Newcie Brown lunchtime with a bar lunch. Stomach still felt uncomfortable. Drove back home, had to stop the car on the verge near Arthur's Seat to boke! Didn't report it, as I was a company man at that time!

PS - I can remember the name of that hotel, Durward Hotel, near Ayr, in Prestwick.

Messages In This Thread
Bought a few things -- Odd Bob Job -- 2016-07-14
Re Bought a few things -- paul fox -- 2016-07-14
Re Bought a few things -- PhD teacher -- 2016-07-15
Re Bought a few things -- Former FT in China -- 2016-07-15
Re Bought a few things -- PhD teacher -- 2016-07-15
Re Bought a few things -- Former FT in China -- 2016-07-15
Re Bought a few things -- paul fox -- 2016-07-15
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Bought a few things

Go to another board -