TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Only and Lonely! - Teachers Discussion
John - 2006-08-11

Just to add reinforcement - I first came to China and worked for a while in a "small" city of 3,500,000 people. I only saw two other foreigners in the few months I worked there but it was a very nice place neverthless.

My next job was in a small town about 30km away. I was the only foreigner in the town and when I walked to the supermarket, the whole place came to a stop as everyone stared at me. On the three occasions I went to the only park in town, it was as if I had just arrived from the planet,"Zargon" Crowds surrounded me, clearly waiting for me to perform some miracle, little kids who had never seen a foreigner before gazed up at me in awe. Even the dogs stared at me.

Fortunately I had Chinese friends in the nearby city and was able to spend my weekends there.

I would also say that I have worked overseas for almost 30 years and I am accustomed to living alone and in foreign parts. So being stared at and not having a crowd of foreign friends on hand is nothing new to me and it doesn't bother me greatly. But if it sounds like it might bother you, then it probably will.

My present job is in a much bigger city with better and more numerous facilities but still nothing like Beijing, which is just a few hours away by bus or train. I have been to Beijing and can see the advantages of it in comparison to smaller places.

The advice to start in a smaller place and move up to a bigger place - Shanghai for example - is very sound and I recommend that you plan your Chinese career with that in mind.

As for finding work - contacting those schools on your friend's list is by far the best approach. If a school wants a foreign teacher, they usually advertise or go to a recruiter. Thus if you turn up in person you may save them the trouble and get yourself the job. As Mr Duke says - the worst they can do is tell you they have no vacancy.

Good Luck

John

Messages In This Thread
Shanghai Direct? - Teachers Discussion -- Dusty -- 2006-08-10
Only and Lonely! - Teachers Discussion -- John -- 2006-08-11
Other Way Around... - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-08-10
One last bit of info... - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-08-10
Raoul is right... - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-10
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Only and Lonely! - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -