TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Apologies to China
paul fox - 2016-07-21

The rule is very simple: Don't give any shit to anyone in the host country where you are; and
don't ever accept any shit from anyone there where you are.

Turnoi, you are right. In any Chinese work contract that I have seen, there is a requirement to 'abide by Chinese law' and I have no issue with that. However, we should all stand up for ourselves if and when someone tries to screw us - just as we would at home.

The problem appears to be that too many westerners complain about certain Chinese social behaviour. If a Chinese person in YOUR country starts spitting on the restaurant floor, drives on the pavement or pushes in front of you in a queue, then you have the right to complain. Just because westerners behave differently doesn't make Chinese behaviour 'wrong' - just not acceptable to us. But we are in THEIR country, and as such we have no right to complain per se.

In all my time in China, (on-and-off since 2009), Someone's only tried to 'screw' me twice. On both occasions I 'screwed back' much quicker and took great satisfaction from doing so. But let's face it, people try to screw us at home too!

Messages In This Thread
Re Apologies to China -- paul fox -- 2016-07-21
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Apologies to China

Go to another board -