TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re What are my job prospects in China?
Former FT in China - 2016-08-20
In response to Re What are my job prospects in China? (Paul Fox)

You are gonna hate this, but you asked.......All seems good except your ethnicity. Sadly, Chinese people are often racist, even bigoted. Being from the Middle East puts you in danger of being labeled a Muslim and as such, your chances are slim. Maybe you should consider UAE as a teaching destination?
My school just refused to hire a teacher simply because they said "he looks like a Muslim". It's not good, but it's true, and definitely something you need to take into account. You could end up applying for heaps of jobs and as soon as they see your photo......bye bye ! It's a shame because China needs teachers.

Not a hopeless situation for the original poster in my view!

About a decade ago, I helped a Canadian former Afghani asylum seeker get a job teaching senior high near Urumqi. He eventually had to cross the border of one of the former Russian republics of East Asia to convert to a Z visa.

My suggestion is that the jobseeker focuses his jobsearch on Xinjiang Autonomous Region, Ningxia Autonomous Region, Qinghai Atonomous Region and Sichuan province. Chinese people in those parts of China might well accept Canadians who look like Muslims as there are Chinese Muslims in significant numbers living there, unlike in Xi'an!

Messages In This Thread
What are my job prospects in China? -- CANENGL -- 2016-08-19
Re What are my job prospects in China? -- Paul Fox -- 2016-08-20
Re What are my job prospects in China? -- Former FT in China -- 2016-08-20
Re What are my job prospects in China? -- Paul Fox -- 2016-08-20
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re What are my job prospects in China?

Go to another board -