TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › ESL in rural indigenous Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador - Teachers Discussion
Rob - 2006-08-23

Hello, all

I would love to teach English in the areas mentioned but one thing troubles me - the rural area of these countries, especially Bolivia and Peru, seem to be largely indigenous. No, I am no bigot, but it seems to me from what I have read that a lot of these people do not speak Spanish, preferring their native languages. The reason why I would like to travel to South America is primarily to become fluent in Spanish so being surrounded by a people who do not speak it might be a problem. The reason why I like these countries is because of the geography which seems to be unmatched by anyplace else in that part of the globe, but it is troubling that the nicer the mountains, lakes, deserts and jungles the less and less Spanish I might hear.

Another concern is that, from what I've read, the Indians seem to be very shy and it might be difficult to get to know them.

What do you think of my concerns? Are there rural regions in these countries that have a balance of Creole and Natives that will allow me to encounter a native culture and also get better at Spanish? Does anyone know of any ESL programs or schools in the region that you can recommend?

Thanks

Messages In This Thread
ESL in rural indigenous Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador - Teachers Discussion -- Rob -- 2006-08-23
In search of answers and advice - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-23
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › ESL in rural indigenous Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -