TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › "As the website turns..." - Teachers Discussion
Frank - 2006-08-24
In response to Websites, etc. - Teachers Discussion (Chuck)

Chuck,

I appreciate your "daily musings," but I strongly disagree with you about this one. By the way, did you happen to read the entire thread about this matter and other problems at this training center, or are you only responding to my most recent post? (That makes a difference -- there's lots of issues at hand here.)

First of all, I don't accept that these schools don't have the capability, know-how, etc., to update these websites.

This particular school has two qualified, full time IT staff on board (in fact the "Vice President" to whom Martin and I refer to used to be one of them!), who are quite willing to do whatever they are instructed to do by management. I could give you a list of various tasks and functions they perform for the boss.

A few other problems with your argument...

If you visit the webpage, you will see photos of "Mary" and "William" who came to Nasdaken in April and departed in June. When Mary's and William's photos were added to the page, Stacy, Jason, Landon, Eric, had all long since left. Why couldn't their photos be removed at the same time Mary's and William's photos were being added???

Do you happen to work for training schools in China? I do, and while they have their positive aspects (mainly the students) they certainly are loaded with negative qualities. Misleading and false information being one of them.

The center's course consultants are instructed to tell the students almost ANYTHING in order to get them to enroll (i.e. get their money). I could open a whole new thread about the outrageous promises I've seen course consultants have made to students during my three years in the training school business in China.

As I said in a earlier post, I worked for another training school here three years ago. They had a large photo of me on display inside the school, and they kept it there for almost a year after I had quit. They knew I was a teacher of decent reputation in this city, and so they were happy to allow people to believe/assume I was still teaching there. I finally had to threaten them with legal action to get them to remove it.

If you worked long and hard for a training school, and left feeling rather disgruntled (I'm referring to a number of the teachers featured on the Nasdaken webpage) how would you feel about your photo being used as a marketing tool to lure new customers? I don't like it, and I doubt they (the eight who have departed) do either.

Chuck, you state that students probably don't care about this. Perhaps you're right; but former teachers DO CARE.

These training centers have LOTS of money to build, create, change something when they WANT to. They have eager IT staff willing to do just about whatever managers ask them to do.

The ONLY reason you don't see my photo among the others on the website is because I refuse to allow training schools to photograph my for this very reason (as I said, I learned from experience).

I allow students to take my photo all they like, but not the school. They can only make money from this "dancing bear" while I am on the payroll, not after I'm long gone and they've stopped paying me.

Please tell me about your current working situation in China; then perhaps I can understand your feelings and/or reasoning.

I've spent hours and hours talking and talking (and talking...) with managers about such problems, and hours composing public postings about these problems as well. Obviously, these are not frivolous issues to me, so please be careful about minimizing other people's issues while you are "musing," OK?

Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
Nasdaken International English - Teachers discussion -- Stacy -- 2006-04-08
Hmmmm - Teachers Discussion -- Cian -- 2006-07-11
I say "Hmmmmm..." also, but for different reasons - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-11
Sounds like I'd sign a contract today.... - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-07-13
Speaking of "runners"... and "happy" full timers - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-13
Those annoying mindsets the powers push us to adopt - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-07-14
More "Chinese," please... - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-14
Well, to be frank again, Frank - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-07-15
the chinese way - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- mj -- 2006-07-14
A long (and possibly pointless?) reply - Teachers Discussion -- Cian -- 2006-07-12
response - Teachers Discussion -- American in Nanjing -- 2006-05-08
Reply - Teachers Discussion -- Stacy -- 2006-05-12
...and another thing - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-06-04
In support of Stacy and her statements about Nasdaken - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-06-04
Subtle extensions of the truth - Teachers Discussion -- Martin -- 2006-08-02
Thanks, and best wishes to you (from my "bad mouth") - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-04
Keeping a watchful eye... - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-09
Martin? Where For Art Thou, Martin? - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-17
"Tis but thy name that is my enemy" - Teachers Discussion -- Martin -- 2006-09-06
Martin, a reply from you -- AT LONG LAST!!! - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-09-06
Nasdaken obviously DOESN'T CARE - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-24
Websites, etc. - Teachers Discussion -- Chuck -- 2006-08-24
"As the website turns..." - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-24
Have you posted this warning on Raoul's site? - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-04-09
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › "As the website turns..." - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -