TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Scott: Re Aston - Teachers Discussion
KJ - 2006-08-31

If you will research here further, you will discover that the general consensus is to avoid private schools altogether. In my opinion, and that of others who are well experienced in China, chain schools with Western management and/or owners, though they tout their professionalism quite vigorously through the use of nicely laid out websites and well spoken hiring staff, are as guilty as others in not living up to their promises - written or verbal. However, there are a few, (very few) private schools that are Western managed and /or owned that are worth your effort. But if you find yourself interested in one of them, it would be well worth your effort to ask probing and meaningful questions. As stated here before by myself and others, if the communication breaks down at any point during which you have asked those questions, it's time to back off and continue your job search.

It's also been stated here that one should ask for visual representations of the apartment and school where you will be living and teaching. Nine times out of ten that will be the end point - they really don't want you to see your shabby living quarters and they definitely don't want you to be aware of how unprofessional their school really is. Don't be fooled by pictures of the front office - they will make the effort to have that look nice; not only for your benefit but also for the benefit of the parents of potential students. One other thing is that you should get verifiable testimonials from past teachers. Don't be afraid of offending them by asking for these things. If they truly are a professional and well run organization, they won't be surprised or offended by your questions.

First time teachers in China would be well advised to avoid private schools no matter what. If you are truly interested in working in China and possibly making a difference, it would be wise to begin with a public college. Generally, you will be treated well with such a position and from that perch you can view the rest of the teaching environment in China. You will learn a lot simply by communicating with your fellow teachers and continuing your on-line research while employed in a relatively safe and honest environment. Proof of this can be found by surfing these websites where you will find that a low percentage of the complaints are in regards to the public colleges.

I should add that at the university where I am now employed there are three or four colleges that hire foreign teachers. Most of them have been teaching in China for as long as I have - meaning more than a few years. Many of these teachers have been teaching on this campus for more than two years. Their response when asked where they will teach next is always the same - why take the risk of teaching elsewhere when everything is ok here? Yeah, there will always be problems of one kind or the other. After all, this is an entirely different culture, but generally those problems can be resolved through awareness and working closely with the Foreign Affairs Office.

So again, avoid private schools - at least until you've learned the ropes through communication and research.

Good luck!

The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right. ~Hannah Whitall Smith

In giving advice seek to help, not to please, your friend. ~Solon

Sometimes I give myself admirable advice, but I am incapable of taking it. ~Mary Wortley Montagu

Well, no matter what one thinks about giving advice, the truth is that we who often post such advice as given above are often dumbfounded by how often it goes unheeded. Regardless; we keep on trying don't we? I like the last quote above though; it helps me remember that I must find the inner strength to heed my own advice even if it goes counter to my basic instinct to be a trusting person. I am often helped though, while traversing these EFL waters in China, by my Chinese girlfriend who feels the need to often remind me not to be so trusting. Any comments?

Messages In This Thread
China: Xian Aston - Teachers discussion -- Dana -- 2006-03-06
Back to the topic of aston schools - Teachers Discussion -- Matthew -- 2006-09-10
That's the official line... - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-09-11
I don't think this warrents.... - Teachers Discussion -- Blake -- 2006-08-31
What I Think - Teachers Discussion -- Dana -- 2006-09-11
In response to your concerns - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Craig Nisbet -- 2007-01-28
New Aston - Teachers Discussion -- Steve -- 2007-02-03
Xian Aston English School Pictures - Teachers Discussion -- Craig Nisbet -- 2007-08-18
Think Again! - Teachers Discussion -- Lynn -- 2006-09-04
Xian Aston English School - Teachers discussion -- Owen Morris -- 2006-04-02
Really? - Teachers discussion -- Mike T -- 2006-04-15
In my opinion.... - Teachers discussion -- Owen Morris -- 2006-04-20
Aston Double Talk - Teachers Discussion -- Dana -- 2006-08-22
Don't speak for me. - Teachers Discussion -- JJ -- 2006-08-22
Don't Speak For Me JJ! - Teachers Discussion -- Dave -- 2006-08-23
My own little "Crash Course" In Aston Schools - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-23
Interesting thread. - Teachers Discussion -- Chuck -- 2006-08-23
Frank Rides Again - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-08-23
Is there that much solidarity there? - Teachers Discussion -- Chuck -- 2006-08-22
It does happen... - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-08-23
Ain't that the truth! - Teachers Discussion -- Chuck -- 2006-08-24
cold feet for aston - Teachers Discussion -- scott -- 2006-08-31
A reason for those cold feet... - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-08-31
Scott and/or anyone actually interested - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-09-01
Figure of speech... - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-09-01
Thanks Raoul - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-09-03
Scott: Re Aston - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-08-31
Scott's Words - Teachers Discussion -- Wendy -- 2006-09-05
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Scott: Re Aston - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -