TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion
Former FT in China - 2016-09-07

FTeesy. I'm not getting hot under the collar. I'm sorry if my writing style gives you that opinion, but I'm sure you'd know if I was annoyed. Incidentally, Taffy has already called me 'caustic' today too.

Firstly, I'm not teaching this. I was simply asked the question after a Chinese teacher had told the student she was 'wrong'.

As for you not using it, well I can assure you that in my English hometown, the phrase 'We're having a party next week....etc' is common, everyday usage. As I said previously, it may not be the perfect choice of words compared to the 2 other choices, but it's certainly not 'wrong' in the way that this Chinese teacher insisted it was.

Is it Tomayto or Tomarto?

Foxy, no problem, apology not at all required.

Yep, usage-wise, 'We're having a party next week is acceptable. I dunno about ''We're having a wonderful silver wedding anniversary party in 3 years' time.'' Maybe not.

Many other examples exist of bad grammar being accepted. 'Long time no see!', 'Me too', 'Nice meting you',(on first meeting, and on saying farewell)

I saw the following in a popular Chinese textbook for college students.

Scene: at a dining table outside a cafe. Ann is seated at a table reading a book and drinking coffee. Bert saunters over.

Patron A: Hi, I'm Bert. What's your name?
Patron B: Hi, I'm Ann. Nice meeting you.

Bert: Nice meeting you too. What are you doing?

Ann: I study medicine. And you?

Bert: I am a student of English.

Ann: Oh, I'm sorry! I just remembered something urgent. I must go now. Here's my phone no. Call me this evening. Nice meeting you.

Bert: I'll call you this evening. Nice meeting you too. Bye.

Ann: Bye.

Messages In This Thread
you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- learning English -- 2016-09-03
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- learning English -- 2016-09-04
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- Paul Fox -- 2016-09-04
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- no a teacher -- 2016-09-04
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- amused -- 2016-09-04
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- Guangxi Guy -- 2016-09-05
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- Former FT in China -- 2016-09-06
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- Paul Fox -- 2016-09-05
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- Former FT in China -- 2016-09-07
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- Former FT in China -- 2016-09-06
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- Foxy -- 2016-09-06
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- Former FT in China -- 2016-09-07
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- San Migs -- 2016-09-07
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- Foxy -- 2016-09-07
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- Former FT in China -- 2016-09-04
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- amused -- 2016-09-05
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- Former FT in China -- 2016-09-05
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- no a teacher -- 2016-09-05
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- no a teacher -- 2016-09-04
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- amused -- 2016-09-04
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- Former FT in China -- 2016-09-03
Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion -- Paul Fox -- 2016-09-03
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re you raise to the occasion or you rise to the occasion

Go to another board -