TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Banish the Laowai
Foxy - 2016-09-30

The introduction of the work visa classification system that is to be trialed in 9 Chinese cities commencing Nov 1, is potentially going to have 2 disastrous effects, according to some people.

The first of these is that even more Laowai will leave China, and the second is that more and more people will risk working illegally.
The information I'm about to share with you was taken from a video on a certain well-known Internet channel that is banned in China. The video was posted on September 26th and is no longer there so I can't provide a link. The fact that it's no longer there is a little strange. It could have been removed by the OP or deleted by persons unknown.

The proverbial 'drums' are saying that if the trial is successful, then full implementation will commence March 1st next year.

We're all going to be categorised as A, B or C. 'A' being highly desirable, and 'C' being 'we don't want you here'. It's likely that many of us will fit into the 'B' category.

Are you ready to check your score? There are a total of 6 criteria. Under 60 = C. 60-85 = B. Over 85 = A

1. Your Salary in China
0-10K = 6 points
10-30K = 12 points
Over 30K = 16 points

2. Educational Background
Degree from a 'no-name' university = 6 points
Degree from the world's top 200 = 12 points
Ivy League and above = 16 points

3. Number of years working in China
0-2 years = 6 points
2-4 years = 12 points
4 years + = 16 points

4. Chinese Language Proficiency
HSK 1 or below = 6 points
HSK 2-4 = 12 points
HSK 5 or over = 16 points

5. Age
Under 25 or over 60 = 6 points
46 - 60 = 12 points
25 - 45 = 16 points

6. Location
Tier 1 cities = 6 points
Tier 2 cities = 12 points
Middle of nowhere = 16 points

Now, if this criteria is accurate and is what we can expect, my personal score would be exactly 60 points (although possibly 66 depending on the exchange-rate between $ and RMB). A score of 60 would make me borderline between being 'acceptable' and 'useless'.

To be fair I can understand where they are coming from, but only up to a point.

The top 200 universities in the world are going to include such names as Harvard, Oxbridge, Eton, etc. Who on earth would want to come and work in China after graduating from such a university?

As far as Chinese language proficiency goes, the difference between HSK 2 and HSK 5 is vast, yet only carries an extra 4 points.

Perhaps the trial will be enough for them to change the parameters, but for now it appears that this is all we've got to go on.

Messages In This Thread
Banish the Laowai -- Foxy -- 2016-09-30
Re Banish the Laowai -- T.Swift -- 2016-10-01
Re Banish the Laowai -- caring -- 2016-10-02
Re Banish the Laowai -- caring -- 2016-10-01
Re Banish the Laowai -- Foxy -- 2016-10-01
Re Banish the Laowai -- amused -- 2016-09-30
Re Banish the Laowai -- T.Swift -- 2016-10-01
Re Banish the Laowai -- amused -- 2016-10-01
Re Banish the Laowai -- Foxy -- 2016-09-30
Re Banish the Laowai -- Edmund Trebus -- 2016-09-30
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Banish the Laowai