TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Teaching English in China
Former FT in China - 2016-10-12
In response to Re please look at my life (Foxy)

I posted a comment here back in August after I finished working at a high school summer camp.

There were 4 'real teachers' from the UK and 3 ESL teachers. None of the 4 'real teachers' had done any kind of TESOL/TEFL/TESL course and as such, were completely out of their depth in an ESL classroom.

So first thing every morning, there we all were, drinking coffee before class with 3 ESL teachers giving advice to 4 'real teachers' about how to do their job efficiently.

What you say is true. When I first taught in China, public college students, btw, after having been a practising high school maths teacher in the UK, I found that I had thrown myself in at the deep end as I had no TEFL experience/training. Nor had I any suitably qualified/experienced FT colleagues to advise me. I modified my teaching methods according to what went down well with my students. My teaching reference from that college after 2 years of teaching there was at least adequate.Of the 24 public teacher-training colleges I had applied to by snail mail, I had 11 job offers at the age of 45. BTW, my teaching reference was in Chinese, not in English.

Personally, I enjoy teaching ESL because I often find it rewarding. As for teaching NES in a mainstream Western school, I'm not interested in the slightest.

Besides, I probably wouldn't last a week due to the PC bullshit that is so prevalent these days.

Absolutely!

Messages In This Thread
please look at my life -- amused -- 2016-10-10
Re please look at my life -- Foxy -- 2016-10-10
Re please look at my life -- Caring -- 2016-10-10
Re please look at my life -- amused -- 2016-10-10
Re please look at my life -- caring -- 2016-10-11
Re please look at my life -- amused -- 2016-10-11
Re please look at my life -- caring -- 2016-10-11
Re please look at my life -- Foxy -- 2016-10-11
Re Teaching English in China -- Former FT in China -- 2016-10-12
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Teaching English in China