TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › A Question for NES
Foxy - 2016-10-18

I'm probably the first person in a long time to ask a direct question pertaining to our beautiful language, but please indulge me.

I'd be one of the first to admit that a decent Chinese English teacher could possibly teach English grammar better than many NES simply due to the pragmatic way in which they have learned English. However, what is grammatically correct is often different to common usage or what many NES consider to be naturally-sounding phrases.

Case in point - The word 'whose' is most often used as the possessive adjective of 'who', yet the grammar police won't arrest anyone who uses it as the possessive adjective of 'which'.

So, do the sentences 'The car whose windows are tinted' / 'The house whose garden is messy' / 'The book whose cover is green' etc, sound 'natural' to you?

'The club whose members are over 70' sounds natural enough, but probably because 'club' can be used to talk about a building OR a group of people.

This subject was discussed at length tonight between 2 NES and 3 Chinese English teachers. The Chinese teachers were essentially arguing that it's OK to teach students this, while the NES were essentially telling them that if students use it in a NES country, they're likely to be ridiculed since many NES would consider it to be wrong.

The fact remains that it's NOT wrong, well, not grammatically anyway, but to me it just SOUNDS 'wrong'.

Are there any NES on here who would consider the use of 'whose' as the possessive form of 'which' as sounding natural?

Messages In This Thread
A Question for NES -- Foxy -- 2016-10-18
Re A Question for NES -- amused -- 2016-10-18
Re A Question for NES -- Foxy -- 2016-10-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › A Question for NES

Go to another board -