TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: 'Helicopter Parents' and 'Love Tents'
Foxy - 2016-11-03

Makes sense. You changed my way of thinking. Thx

You're welcome. But here's the really cool part......
This doesn't ALWAYS happen, but it's happened enough times in my classes for me to actually NOTICE that what I'm about to tell you is 100% true....

There's a bit of psychology attached to the teaching attitude that I described, and it's this....

When a teacher is constantly complaining to a student that he/she is not listening/paying attention etc, that student is getting 'noticed' by his or her classmates. Once you adopt the approach that 'if you don't want to learn, then screw you', kind of thing, then that student isn't in the proverbial 'limelight' any longer. Often, they soon begin to actually realise that they are getting 'left behind', and quite often their behaviour will improve from their own volition. Try it for a month and let me know if you get the same results that I've had.

As I say, it doesn't work with ALL students, but I have had about 6 poorly-behaved students, (all in the same class), that have changed their attitude since I adopted this approach.

Messages In This Thread
'Helicopter Parents' and 'Love Tents' -- Former FT in China -- 2016-11-02
Re: 'Helicopter Parents' and 'Love Tents' -- BeenThere -- 2016-11-02
Re: 'Helicopter Parents' and 'Love Tents' -- Former FT in China -- 2016-11-02
Re: 'Helicopter Parents' and 'Love Tents' -- Foxy -- 2016-11-02
Re: 'Helicopter Parents' and 'Love Tents' -- Former FT in China -- 2016-11-03
Re: 'Helicopter Parents' and 'Love Tents' -- Foxy -- 2016-11-03
Re: 'Helicopter Parents' and 'Love Tents' -- Former FT in China -- 2016-11-03
Re: 'Helicopter Parents' and 'Love Tents' -- Arthur -- 2016-11-03
Re: 'Helicopter Parents' and 'Love Tents' -- Foxy -- 2016-11-03
Re: 'Helicopter Parents' and 'Love Tents' -- Arthur -- 2016-11-03
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: 'Helicopter Parents' and 'Love Tents'

Go to another board -