TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Lorraine re Chang Chun - Teachers Discussion
Santiago - 2006-10-07

No, I haven't heard of their organization. I just read one of their adverts though and there isn't anything in that particular ad that sets my mind at ease regarding their suitability as an employer. I'm always a little uneasy when I see that the employer has requested a response to a private email address. In this case it's Teresa Yang - is that your contact person? In fact I saw a few of their ads by doing a google search with "chang chun esl." Their offer seems to be about normal; albeit, I would never accept a job that didn't offer a computer for the apartment.

They are definitely hiring for a private school. Meaning they are a recruiting agency........another red flag. Their offer states between 4000 and 7000.......another red flag; that seems to be purely arbritrary on their part and I'm quite sure it won't be based on your suitability. In other words, it's a lure. Expect them to offer you 4000 or maybe slightly more. And believe me, your efforts are worth a lot more than that. Anyone who accepts such a paltry sum is being cheated and is helping to pad the corrupt pockets of someone else - yeah, they're taking the money that should be yours.

The teaching demonstration you spoke of will have little to do with your skills as a teacher. What it will determine is whether or not the students like you, and/or in this case perhaps what age level they think you should teach. It will also give them an excuse to ask you to leave if for some reason they don't like you or if you start asking too many questions regarding the legality of your situation. And how about that first week? Will they pay you for it? Will that be in writing?

You didn't mention whether or not they have provided you with the contact information of former employees. I would definitely ask for that if I were you.

Jilin Province is very, very cold in the winter. What kind of heat will be provided in your apartment? If it's gas be very careful; gas leaks are common in China. In fact, I was very nearly killed by one myself. Indeed, had I not had my cell phone next to where I collapsed I would have died. If it's electricity, who will pay for it? How close is the apartment to the school? Another important question because, believe me, you won't want to deal with the severity of the weather.

Don't be put off by these warnings, but please be aware that recruiters are considered a blight by most experienced teachers in China. They make huge amounts of money by promising you everything and delivering little. Take a look at one of my recent posts wherein I've posted information from the US Government about teaching English in China. Yes, of course your contact person is quite friendly to you on the telephone - she's a salesperson and she stands to make a chunk of money by getting you hired.

The question of whether this organization is truly licensed to hire foreign teachers is a thorny one. I think there's a way to verify it, but you'll have to do some serious surfing on the computer to find out how to get that information. Or, contact a Chinese Consulate in your area and ask them for their help.

Again Lorraine, good luck. You and your husband will no doubt decide what is best for both of you, but I can tell you in all honesty, based on the little information I have, that I would not accept the position.

Messages In This Thread
China: Where to teach??? - Teachers Discussion -- Rebekah Buckman and Adam Louth -- 2006-09-03
What do you want? - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-09-06
Best of all worlds - Teachers Discussion -- Rebekah Buckman and Adam Louth -- 2006-09-12
Test some waters... - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-09-17
Re: Raoul and Test the Waters - Teachers Discussion -- DB -- 2006-09-18
seeking assistance - Teachers Discussion -- Bernadeth p. Salimbot -- 2007-07-25
beware of schools paying less to filipinos - Teachers Discussion -- josh -- 2007-07-25
Re: beware of schools paying less to filipinos - Teachers Discussion -- Andrew -- 2008-12-21
Best of all worlds - Teachers Discussion -- The Earthling -- 2006-09-14
Specific Recruiter - Teachers Discussion -- Lynn -- 2006-09-26
Can anyone help? - Teachers Discussion -- Lynn -- 2006-09-28
Re:Specific Recruiter(New Times Hebei Int'l) - Teachers Discussion -- Kersten -- 2006-09-29
Yuncheng IELTS School - Nativeenglish - Teachers Discussion -- Naresh Gupta -- 2006-10-10
Ielts school from Yuncheng, Shanxi - Teachers Discussion -- Gaby -- 2006-10-11
Recruiter help - Teachers Discussion -- Lynn -- 2006-10-05
INQUIRY before leaving for China :-) - Teachers Discussion -- Lorraine Lysander -- 2006-10-05
Information about the School/Agency - Teachers Discussion -- Naresh Gupta -- 2006-10-10
re: info about school agency - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-10-11
A school in Shaanxi province accepts non-native speaking teachers..TRY!! - Teachers Discussion -- lee -- 2006-10-08
LEE I got a question - Teachers Discussion -- Lorraine -- 2006-10-10
For Lee - Teachers Discussion -- Lorraine -- 2006-10-09
Teresa Yang and her organization - Teachers Discussion -- Gaby -- 2006-10-07
Lynn; some tips - Teachers Discussion -- Santiago -- 2006-10-06
Por Bonita, muchas gracias - Teachers Discussion -- Lorraine -- 2006-10-10
to lynn - Teachers Discussion -- bonita -- 2006-10-11
anyone who can help me???? - Teachers Discussion -- shey -- 2006-10-11
BOGUS ADVERT- BEWARE OF THIS ONE! READ THIS! - Teachers Discussion -- ESL TEACHER -- 2006-10-08
English teacher warning - Teachers Discussion -- Matthew -- 2007-03-01
Lorraine not Lynn some tips - Teachers Discussion - Santiago - Teachers Discussion -- Lorraine Lysander -- 2006-10-06
How important is the original contract issued by SAFEA? - Teachers Discussion -- lee -- 2006-10-07
Lee, its the same organization! - Teachers Discussion -- Lorraine -- 2006-10-08
Lorraine re Chang Chun - Teachers Discussion -- Santiago -- 2006-10-07
Regarding the Changchun Job - Santiago - Teachers Discussion -- Lorraine -- 2006-10-07
Be careful..make sure everything is in the proper place...!!! - Teachers Discussion -- lee -- 2006-10-08
TS JILIN EDUCATIONAL EXCHANGES SERVICES CO. LTD - Teachers Discussion -- PUNYEETA KETDI AH! -- 2007-05-19
Re: TS JILIN EDUCATIONAL EXCHANGES SERVICES CO. LTD - Teachers Discussion -- Amihan Habagat -- 2008-06-17
bonjourno - Teachers Discussion -- teresa yang A.K.A mama wang -- 2007-05-19
Lorraine and Chang Chun - Teachers Discussion -- Santiago -- 2006-10-07
lorraine and changchun - Teachers Discussion -- bonita -- 2006-10-09
Lorraine not Lynn - Teachers Discussion -- Santiago -- 2006-10-06
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Lorraine re Chang Chun - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -