TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re English masters for foreigners as difficult as 0 level GCE.
Foxy - 2016-11-21

I do know that 'Sid's garage' in Hounslow, they should be umming and ahing whether or not to
employ a foreigner with an English PhD as a grease monkey. I mean, his English
understanding could lead him to ripping out a whole engine and depositing it into a skip
rather than just a perforated sump casing.

Another thing is that if you are a native English speaker and decide to take your masters in
a non-English-speaking country then don't expect the same leniency from your professor
as his own countrymen- although the corrections your professor keeps asking you to make
will be turning everything into chinglish. Be it in China or Switzerland. Foxy should
have a good degree because he got it from America.

I saw something the other day that was certainly worrying. Well-educated doctors working at hospitals in areas of Los Angeles, where the first language is Spanish, and giving out prescriptions along with verbal instructions.

'Take this oral medicine twice a day and your ear should get better in no time,' was what the doctor said the the woman patient's son.
He translated it into Spanish as 'put this in your ear twice a day and you'll be better soon.'

So YES, Bloddy, you DO raise a good point !

As for my degree, no idea if it's 'good' or not, since I have nothing to compare it to.

Messages In This Thread
Re English masters for foreigners as difficult as 0 level GCE. -- Foxy -- 2016-11-21
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re English masters for foreigners as difficult as 0 level GCE.

Go to another board -