TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › A foreign face sells the school better than an Asian face. - Teachers Discussion
NoN- NATIVE - 2006-10-15

You bet! It breaks my heart. I actually grew up in the US and when back to my mother country for college... but the problem (for them) is lI AM BROWN even I speak in English fluently. Anyways, Let me share you a letter sent to me via e-mail. It is from a Caucasian- owned recruitment agency:

Regarding your application, I am afraid that we cannot hire you for our full-time teaching positions. We take our role as an agency very seriously and wish to provide both teachers and schools with the most excellent of services, and although we are of the opinion that people from other countries can be very good teachers, our contact schools do not wish to employ them for full-time positions, even if they are native speakers.

I cannot say for sure, but I think the reason for this is (especially the private schools and training centers) that, as a foreign teacher, you are not only expected to teach, but also to be the face for the school in advertisements, brochures and parent meetings. A foreign face sells the school better than an Asian face.

Messages In This Thread
GUYS, where to find an ESL job? - Teachers Discussion -- I am a very good ESL teacher but... I AM NON-NATIVE -- 2006-10-12
non-native - Teachers Discussion -- rainmyne -- 2006-10-12
FOR RAINMYNE - Teachers Discussion -- NoN- NATIVE -- 2006-10-15
NON-NATIVE - Teachers Discussion -- rainmyne -- 2006-10-17
Jobs Abroad - non-native - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Teachers Latin America -- 2006-10-13
FOR Teachers Latin America - Teachers Discussion -- NoN- NATIVE -- 2006-10-15
Non-natives TEFLing in Latin America - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Teachers Latin America -- 2006-10-16
The Chinese don't want real ESL teachers ! - Teachers Discussion -- Mark -- 2006-10-15
"Real ESL Teachers" - Teachers Discussion -- The Earthling -- 2006-10-16
re: culture and real esl teachers - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-10-17
Non-Native v Native Speakers - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-16
Non-Native v Native - Teachers Discussion -- The Earthling -- 2006-10-17
To be or Not to Be! - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-18
Earthling's remarks - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-10-17
A foreign face sells the school better than an Asian face. - Teachers Discussion -- NoN- NATIVE -- 2006-10-15
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › A foreign face sells the school better than an Asian face. - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -