TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › You're right Fish - Teachers Discussion
KJ - 2006-10-15

Yes of course, I didn't mean to imply that one shouldn't rely on the basics or the foundations of ESL/EFL teaching. And I agree that after a period of time the basics become a part of our repertoire; however, as you suggested, it's well to remember during those times when we feel as though nothing else is working that the basics can in and of themselves get us through the day.

Something I've noticed with my college students - in terms of their approach to learning versus our approach to teaching - is that they often need to be reminded of the basics of the English language. What is often the case is that they have done so much cramming for exams they haven't really "learned" the language. I've often been surprised by their inability to properly use the basics of English - such as "be" verbs and third person singular, and it is common for them to confuse past and future tenses. I think it is at these times that we need to seemingly throw away our teacher's hats and engage them in more realistic conversations. And yes, that is a basic tenet of teaching isn't it? Personalizing as much as possible. Creating a learning environment that isn't necessarily a teaching environment. Or, as a mentor of mine used to say, "making the language come alive."

I always keep a list close by of student's names with their hobbies and interests. It's a simple thing, but it allows me to communicate with them about something that has personal meaning in their lives. More importantly, it allows them to internalize and that is a definite help.

Well, just rambling while drinking my morning coffee and had better get going. Thanks for the input Fish! Have a great day.

Messages In This Thread
You're right Fish - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-10-15
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › You're right Fish - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -