TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Earthling's remarks - Teachers Discussion
KJ - 2006-10-17
In response to Non-Native v Native - Teachers Discussion (The Earthling)

Well Earthling, you seem interested in debating, but I cant really accommodate you. I can however offer this response.

First, your assertion that almost 100% of texts used in China for EFL classes are written by UK or American authors is way off the mark. Granted though, the majority are written by Westerners or at least by those posing as Westerners, so Ill allow that one to slide.
Secondly, if any of us are having a little trouble following your writing, its because your writing skills leave a little to be desired. Better stick to teaching Oral English.

Hmmm, I just reflected on how much culture I taught in my classes today. Not much, unless of course, like you, I equate the teaching of English as the teaching of culture. And no, we dont sing in my university classes; however, if we did, I wouldnt necessarily equate that as cultural either unless we were singing traditional folk songs or the like. Otherwise, I would call that faux culture generated by profit driven Wall Street marketers. Oh yeah, by the way, when I have taught in Middle Schools the children loved singing Chinese songs for me.

Now, Im sure you and I wouldnt be having this discussion had you carefully read my post. My assertion was that non-native speakers would be more suited for classes other than Oral English due to the fact that many have very refined grammar and writing skills. Yingwin, rightfully pointed out that many non-native speakers would be well positioned to teach business classes of one kind or the other.

As for refuting your facts Earthling, well, I didnt really see any facts worth refuting. Actually, I dont even take issue with your basic argument that there are reasons why many employers dont consider non-native English speakers as suitable for their students. What I do take issue with is the way you have framed your response. No need to be confrontational or to treat the rest of us as if we are moronic. Heres a quote from your post: I guess some of you either can't read or can't understand what you have read. Maybe you meant to say, Perhaps I didnt make myself clear.

But in the context of the suitability of non-native English speakers, Id like to see you take a more logical position from which you are viewing the issue more clearly and less shrouded by your own misguided perceptions of the importance of Western culture and its association with language teaching. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that you are confining yourself to thinking only in terms of Oral English. And, to be completely fair, one should recognize that there are some non-native English speakers who have acquired a fairly neutral accent and who also understand the intonation and stress patterns of the language well enough to teach it.

Messages In This Thread
GUYS, where to find an ESL job? - Teachers Discussion -- I am a very good ESL teacher but... I AM NON-NATIVE -- 2006-10-12
non-native - Teachers Discussion -- rainmyne -- 2006-10-12
FOR RAINMYNE - Teachers Discussion -- NoN- NATIVE -- 2006-10-15
NON-NATIVE - Teachers Discussion -- rainmyne -- 2006-10-17
Jobs Abroad - non-native - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Teachers Latin America -- 2006-10-13
FOR Teachers Latin America - Teachers Discussion -- NoN- NATIVE -- 2006-10-15
Non-natives TEFLing in Latin America - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Teachers Latin America -- 2006-10-16
The Chinese don't want real ESL teachers ! - Teachers Discussion -- Mark -- 2006-10-15
"Real ESL Teachers" - Teachers Discussion -- The Earthling -- 2006-10-16
re: culture and real esl teachers - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-10-17
Non-Native v Native Speakers - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-16
Non-Native v Native - Teachers Discussion -- The Earthling -- 2006-10-17
To be or Not to Be! - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-18
Earthling's remarks - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-10-17
A foreign face sells the school better than an Asian face. - Teachers Discussion -- NoN- NATIVE -- 2006-10-15
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Earthling's remarks - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -