TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › responce to Fish - Teachers Discussion
The Earthling - 2006-10-20

In response to Fish, I'll weigh in on teaching of slang to Chinese students. How to make the decision what slang to teach and what not to teach? I realy have no boundries but do limit my involvement somewhat,e.g. if a student asks me about a slang expression I'll respond, or if it is contained within a text we are using, such as 21st Century Newspaper. I have often used slang expressions as a reference concerning the changing nature of language. My classes are usually free flowing with a central theme, "get them up and speaking in English" so sometimes I myself use slang to make a point or to show students how to say something differently. Also, sometimes to provide comic relief.

Recently, I had an experience teaching middle school English Teachers. (Chinese) One of my colleagues delivered a strong speech denouncing the teaching of slang, said she never used it, but when ask about teachers who advocate the teaching of slang, she said "they don't have a clue". Go figure! What say you Fish, what's your take on teaching slang. I think we can't deny slang is a intregral part of a language and it's OK to expose students to it, and help them understand it. After all, they do see it and hear it in Movies and Music. (dare I use the word Western?)
Any other non-confrontational discursive postings are certainly welcome!

Messages In This Thread
native v non-native - Teachers Discussion -- The Earthling -- 2006-10-18
It's Not About Race - It's About Performance. - Teachers Discussion -- Dave -- 2006-10-20
It's all about... - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-20
profit driven - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-10-22
Go! go! go! - Teachers Discussion -- JUSTICE -- 2006-10-21
For Justice! - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-21
Yingwen - Teachers Discussion -- JUSTICE -- 2006-10-22
Go for it Justice! - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-23
re: native vs. non-native - Teachers Discussion -- Santiago -- 2006-10-19
responce to Fish - Teachers Discussion -- The Earthling -- 2006-10-20
Ethnocentrism? - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-19
Yes, but ..... - Teachers Discussion -- Mark -- 2006-10-19
and $ 500 salary ! Hahahaha ! - Teachers Discussion -- Mark -- 2006-10-19
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › responce to Fish - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -