TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re The dust of unsuspecting Chinese meeting the West
Trump diplomacy - 2017-01-10

he work and efforts of dedicated Western
teachers in China were not totally in vain. To me personally, that's good enough to
know.

Students benefit from their teachers to varying degrees based on countless considerations, most not within the teacher's control. It is my belief that the foreign teacher's intent to assist students in their learning process and his acceptance, if not understanding, of the differences in their culture and educational experience are the most critical elements to obtaining any modicum of success.

I only began teaching in China in 2005, but I too have observed and experienced the diminished respect given to FTs during the past decade. I cannot however argue that this recent critical appraisal of FTs is not justified. I can not speak to the 1990s, but the prototypical clowns in the classrooms ten years ago were not deserving of any respect. Ironically, the quality of FTs has probably, on the margin, improved just as their acknowledgement has diminished.

I have always been critical of the Chinese educational system and empathize with the toll it takes on students. But I recognize that institutions respond only to power. FTs have none. For that matter, Chinese teachers have none.

Nevertheless, I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to share classroom time with over 5000 university students, many of whom I continue to communicate with. My QQ has had over 277,000 visits in 7 years and is more active now than ever. I am grateful for the sense of community that these ex-students offer me. I know you feel the same.

Messages In This Thread
Re The dust of unsuspecting Chinese meeting the West -- Trump diplomacy -- 2017-01-10
Re The dust of unsuspecting Chinese meeting the West -- Lamar -- 2017-01-10
Re The dust of unsuspecting Chinese meeting the West -- Trump diplomacy -- 2017-01-10
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re The dust of unsuspecting Chinese meeting the West

Go to another board -