TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › wal-mart - Teachers Discussion
KJ - 2006-11-20

When did Wal-Mart become the benchmark of Westernism? Gee, I thought it was Mcbarfburger - yes the convenient way to watch your children develop their fat asses while educating them on the ways of the West. I can see it now: "That's it my precious one, just one more greasy french fry and one more burger and Daddy and Mommy will be so proud of their little bloated, Western like babykins. Or maybe it's Starbucks - the Chinese never really did like tea anyway.

The truth is that there are many Chinese who resent the existance of such places in China. And there are many Chinese who resent the implication that because the corporate West has insinuated itself on the Chinese landscape it naturally follows that all Chinese are seeking a Western "standard of living." It's difficult to tell with Heather's post - so full of statistics and no real points - whether or not she's equating "standard of living" with "lifestyle," but I think she's referring to both.

In terms of standard of living though I think it absurd to suggest that increased affluence means Westernism. I think I made that point before. If the entire world had parity in terms of affluence, what would we have to call it then? Maybe because China has close to 20% of the world's population, we'll have to label affluence as Easternism. Or, if Japan returns to even higher than previous levels of economic prosperity, maybe we'll need to call it Japanism.

The fact is that it's natural to want to improve one's life. As Fish clearly stated, there's nothing new about the Chinese seeking convenience. In many ways they get stuck in a rut of their own making when they've found that convenience though - "good enough is good enough." But that's a whole different matter unless we discuss it in the context of mutuality, wherein we can address the notion that "Western" creative thinking blends well with Asian work ethics.

At any rate, Heather seems to have a penchant for the carte blanche. But she's not alone. Many people think they have the answers or think they have the means to define change or social evolution. We can't really. Exceptions always exist and, in a country with such a huge population, the number of those exceptions is huge. Yes there is kind of social mobility happening in China that is historical in its proportions; albeit, I'd rather leave it to the "talking heads" to explain it all.

I think what you're encountering here in the forum Heather is that there are many teachers like Fish and myself who are not just plodding away through our teaching chores in China. We are here with our eyes wide open. We can't help but react negatively to your sweeping statements because we see a little beyond what you, and often the Western media, present as the "real China." I don't profess to be an expert on China, nor, I assume, does Fish; however, we know enough and have seen enough to realize that the diversity of this country diminishes the value of statements that are made without proper research and observation to back them up.

Oh well, maybe you're right though. And maybe I'm right that because so many people in America like sushi then it naturally follows that they are all leaning toward Japanism.

Messages In This Thread
wal-mart - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-11-20
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › wal-mart - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -